PDA

View Full Version : Some textual suggestions

Ben Spackman
08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
A few textual suggestions-

Since these are Bibles-with-notes instead of full-blown commentaries, I hope they fall within the purview of BW's purpose. I'd really like to see

1) The Jewish Study Bible (link (http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Study-Bible-Publication-Translation/dp/0195297512)) which is the JPS (TNK) translation with notes.

2) The Schocken Bible, translation by Everett Fox, which tries to capture Hebrew nuances in English (e.g. translating the alliterative tohu vavohu of Gen 1 by "wild and waste.") Link (http://www.amazon.com/Five-Books-Moses-Leviticus-Deuteronomy/dp/0805211195/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218718943&sr=1-1)

3) The literary translations and notes of Robert Alter, which so far include Genesis, Psalms, and 1-2 Samuel.

Would these be popular suggestions? Is there enough support among the user base to make these profitable additions (presumably as modules)?

It looks like Accordance has the first two. Logos hasn't made any comments and doesn't answer questions about them. So far, I've been able to avoid purchasing a third Bible program :)

Adelphos
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
A few textual suggestions... (e.g. translating the alliterative tohu vavohu of Gen 1 by "wild and waste.")

Some of us still think "without form and void" is still far and away the best, most accurate -- linguistically AND theologically -- translation of tohu vabohu.

Having said that, I would agree with you about incorporating these texts into BW, as it would perhaps add more critical thinking tools into the mix.

Michael Hanel
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Assuming the ESV publishers are more benevolent (which seems fairly accurate from my little knowledge base) than say other publishing companies (perhaps ones that start w Z.), it would be cool to have some form of the notes from the ESV Study Bible in the next BW version. So far BW hasn't really delved into the commentary publishing business, but more meaty notes from some form of Study Bible (so the JPS one would also be nice) would be a nice treat. Not really familiar with your other suggestions, so I can't comment much on them.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for something better in the Bible dictionary/encyclopedia realm.

mnaah
08-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I'd be happy to see anything by Alter...

Ben Spackman
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
BTW, if readers are interested in these, the odds of them appearing are much higher if such interest is expressed :)

So post a "me too!" or something, or let the developers know.

mille-man
08-22-2008, 02:49 PM
This is my "me too" plug.