PDA

View Full Version : Bibles with Strong's Numbers and Word List Manager

Ruben Gomez
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Currently, when a word list based on a morphologically tagged Bible is created, there is an option to keep the morph codes, diacritics, and so on. There is also an option to change the morphology on selected words, once the word list has been created.

As a future enhancement I would like to see a similar feature with those Bibles that contain Strong's numbers (like the KJV, NAU and so on), so that the user could keep the numbers and even change them, just as is the case right now with the kinds of versions described above. This would add even greater flexibility and power to an already outstanding tool.

Thanks.

Ruben Gomez
05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Currently, when a word list based on a morphologically tagged Bible is created, there is an option to keep the morph codes, diacritics, and so on. There is also an option to change the morphology on selected words, once the word list has been created.

As a future enhancement I would like to see a similar feature with those Bibles that contain Strong's numbers (like the KJV, NAU and so on), so that the user could keep the numbers and even change them, just as is the case right now with the kinds of versions described above. This would add even greater flexibility and power to an already outstanding tool.

Thanks.

Now that BW8 has been released, I wonder if this feature request could be revisited. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but I think it would be quite useful. If the numbers could be displayed and even used to sort the words (currently there are only two options: alphabetically or by frequency), it would be a great bonus.

Thanks for your consideration.

PS. I have also submitted this request to BW's suggestions email, as indicated by M. Tan.

Ruben Gomez
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Further to my original request, I would also love to see an option in the KWIC tool to have Strong's numbers as part of the output for Strong's tagged texts (just as it currently does with morphological tags).

Thanks for listening.

Ruben Gomez
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I am bumping this thread in the hope that someone from BibleWorks will chime in. Is implementing this feature request at all feasible? It would be nice to know after over two years...

Thanks

Glenn Weaver
12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Ruben,

I'm sorry, but the BibleWorks folks that work on new ideas don't always read the forums. The place to contact would be through the ideas email address at BibleWorks. I have contacted the person that gathers the ideas emails, and he has sent it on to our programmers. I am unable to tell you how feasible your idea may be, or any sort of timetable on which your suggestion could be implemented.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any better information.

Blessings,
Glenn

Ruben Gomez
12-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you, Glenn. Do notice, however, that I did contact BibleWorks via email, and that at least Michael Tan is aware of this, since he suggested that I write directly rather than just opening a new forum thread.

So, IMHO even a "No" would be better than no answer at all after all this time...

Glenn Weaver
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Reuben,

The fact that you have not heard anything yet is a good thing. It means that the idea has not been declared undoable. It just means that your idea was noted and included with the other ideas that have been submitted. We have a very large list of program suggestions that BibleWorks users have submitted to us over the years. We try to implement as many as we can, but there are too many submitted for us to be able to implement them all as once. We keep the ideas so we can consider them in the future.

There are a lot of factors that go into implementing a suggestion. Sometimes a feature is implemented because it would be easy to do. At other times it is implemented because it is part of a program feature that is undergoing an enhancement. Sometimes an idea is implemented because it coincides with other ideas that were submitted. Sometimes an idea is an inspiration for a slightly different feature than the idea that was submitted. And sometimes a great idea comes at a wrong time.

So what I am saying is that we have not said 'no' to your idea. Maybe in the future we will do more work with Strong's numbers and will implement your idea. Please keep sending in ideas. And fell free to resubmit ideas periodically.

For whatever it is worth, I have also submitted ideas that have not yet been implemented in BibleWorks. In fact, some of my ideas were submitted at least 6 years ago. Perhaps they will, one day, be implemented. I continue to submit ideas, and some of them have been implemented.

We value your idea, and will keep it for consideration.

If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at my bibleworks.com email address, which is gweaver, rather than discussing it on the forums.

Blessings,
Glenn

MBushell
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi Ruben,

We'll take a closer look at this but it is hard for me to get excited about it. The problem is that the Strong's numbers don't tag words, but phrases, and there is nothing in the tagging that specifies precisely which phrase. And in all the tagged versions that we have the tagging is done somewhat inconsistently. Some words get tagged in some verses but go untagged in other verses. All this makes using Strongs numbers generally problematic. To make matters worse Strong's tagging does not work well with dynamic equivalence translations. So there are a lot of issues. But we will take a closer look. It will be a while though as we are all working on other things.

Mike

Ruben Gomez
12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Thank you, Glenn and Mike, for the update.

Best,