PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew in Dan 12:13?

ingosorke
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Calling all Hebrew experts . . . the pop-up window traces the last word in Dan 12:13 (!ymiY"h;) to the term !ymiy" (right hand). But it's translated "days" in most English translations, and appears to be derived from ~Ay, not !ymiy" .

Any insights?

Thanks,

Ingo

Adelphos
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
the pop-up window traces the last word in Dan 12:13 (!ymiY"h;) to the term !ymiy" (right hand). But it's translated "days" in most English translations, and appears to be derived from ~Ay, not !ymiy" .

The earlier commentators, such as Keil & Delitsch, have the last letter as a mem instead of a num, which would signify to me that the earlier Masoretic text was spelled this way, i.e., with a mem instead of a nun, and that this just exhibits yet another of the many differences between the Leningrad Codex and the earlier Received Text, although I haven't really researched this particular variant, so you might want to consult earlier texts for further investigation of the matter.

Michael Hanel
08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
This is completely unrelated to the above.

In my Firefox browser at school the first post in this thread is mixed Latin font and the normal Hebrew characters. In my Firefox browser at home the entire post is in Latin font (i.e. the bwheb font isn't being activated). Does anyone know what setting I must have bumped that has caused this?

David Kummerow
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
We find the Aramaic plural ending /n/ scattered through the OT. See briefly Joon-Muraoka 90c. Which means the morphology here in BW is in error.

Regards,
David.

ingosorke
08-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks to all so far.

MH: Firefox 3.0, IE 7, and Safari all look, well, Hebrew to me. I'd dig around Tools - Options - Contents - Default Fonts - Advanced - Allow Pages to select their own fonts Checked?

I.

Michael Hanel
08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all so far.

MH: Firefox 3.0, IE 7, and Safari all look, well, Hebrew to me. I'd dig around Tools - Options - Contents - Default Fonts - Advanced - Allow Pages to select their own fonts Checked?

I.

Thanks, that was indeed the problem. I must have toggled that off at some point in time...

David Kummerow
08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
The parsing is apparently corrected in version 4.10 of the morphology. But unfortunately due to licensing, a morphology update in BW will only happen at the next major program release.

Regards,
David.