PDA

View Full Version : Compilation of UserDbs in Hebrew...

yugu
08-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Hi again,

There are a few Second Temple Texts that are available on the net (I'm pretty sure without any copyright restrictions) in Hebrew: take as an example Mishna and Talmud (Mechon-Mamre site) and some of Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha texts(http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/hasfarim/hasfarim.htm) which is, to be sure, no more then attempt to retroverse the proposed Hebrew Vorlage from the Geez translation of Greek translation of Hebrew original (which in some case exemplified in occasional pieces from DSS, see 4QJub/a [4Q216] for the beginning of the Book of Jubilees).

The text can easily be copied into Unicode format. Now, what should be the procedure to compile them properly into BW databases (I'm not talking about the verse numbering, which is already known to me, but about the Unicode conversion to ccat Hebrew or something like this)?

Thanks in advance,
Yuri.

David Kummerow
08-04-2008, 11:51 PM
If you export a section of WTT text as CCAT, you'll see the incoding used.

I assume it is the same as the raw encoding straight from Westminister. From the help file:

Alef )
Bet B
Gimel G
Dalet D
Heh H
Waw W
Holem OW
Zayin Z
Het X
Tet +
Yod Y
Kaf K
Lamed L
Mem M
Nun N
Samek S
Peh P
Ayin (
Tsade C
Qof Q
Resh R
Sin &
Tav T
Patah A
Qamets F
Segol E
Tsere "
Hireq I
Qamets Hatuf F
Qibbuts U
Shureq W.
Shewa :
Hatef Patah :A
Hatef Segol :E
Hatef Qamets :F
Dagesh .
Maqqef -

Regards,
David.

yugu
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi David,
Thanks for the answer! That means writing some code to create the automatic conversion routine. Actually I find the CCAT encoding problematic since there is no option for the final letter for instance (and you can see what happens whit that at Qumrans text where the parenethesises of reconstruction produce a final letter in the middle of the word!). Hope the Unicode support will be available in some not too distant future!
Thanks again for the help!