PDA

View Full Version : Basic Search Query Problem

jmbpastor
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Greetings once again! I am having a problem performing (what seems to me) a simple search query. Maybe someone with more experience in searching the greek text could help me. Here is the problem:

I have attempted to search the greek text for all listings for the word "theos" in the same verse with the complete phrase "kai kurios Iesou Christos" - not with only a partial match or just one of the words! My search command error message box keeps telling me what I am doing wrong but withou any suggestions on how to fix my entry. I also have tried to search for theos within 1 verse of the entire phrase "kai kurios Iesou Christos" also with out any luck. Maybe I am using to many ' . * etc.?

Help!

Michael Hanel
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Greetings once again! I am having a problem performing (what seems to me) a simple search query. Maybe someone with more experience in searching the greek text could help me. Here is the problem:

I have attempted to search the greek text for all listings for the word "theos" in the same verse with the complete phrase "kai kurios Iesou Christos" - not with only a partial match or just one of the words! My search command error message box keeps telling me what I am doing wrong but withou any suggestions on how to fix my entry. I also have tried to search for theos within 1 verse of the entire phrase "kai kurios Iesou Christos" also with out any luck. Maybe I am using to many ' . * etc.?

Help!

Well before I attempted to do a search on both of your requirements I just did a search on what you said "kai kurios iesou christos" for which you will find no hits because it's not grammatically what you want. If I understand your question right you would want Lord Jesus Christ to all appear in the same case, which would bare minimum would mean "kai kurious iesous christos" but that would only find occurences in the nominative form (assuming your search is in the BGT or the like. To search for other grammatical cases use the wildcard * or search in the morphological versions with a wildcard there for the grammatical case.

The other thing to mention is that beginning your search with " ' " (the apostrophe) will search for a string so 'kai kuri* ies* christ* will look for that string with no words in between. Beginning that same search with a period would look for all verses with all those words in it in any order.

Now when I did that search I found 13 hits in 13 different verses. I believe from a quick glance all of them contained THEOS in some grammatical case, so I didn't even attempt the second part of your search request. For that you would use the Graphical Search Engine I reckon.

jmbpastor
07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Well before I attempted to do a search on both of your requirements I just did a search on what you said "kai kurios iesou christos" for which you will find no hits because it's not grammatically what you want. If I understand your question right you would want Lord Jesus Christ to all appear in the same case, which would bare minimum would mean "kai kurious iesous christos" but that would only find occurences in the nominative form (assuming your search is in the BGT or the like. To search for other grammatical cases use the wildcard * or search in the morphological versions with a wildcard there for the grammatical case.

The other thing to mention is that beginning your search with " ' " (the apostrophe) will search for a string so 'kai kuri* ies* christ* will look for that string with no words in between. Beginning that same search with a period would look for all verses with all those words in it in any order.

Now when I did that search I found 13 hits in 13 different verses. I believe from a quick glance all of them contained THEOS in some grammatical case, so I didn't even attempt the second part of your search request. For that you would use the Graphical Search Engine I reckon.

Sorry... I wasn't really paying attention to the manner or form of the greek words in which I had typed. Originally I had copied the phrase (taken for ex. from James 1:1) "and the Lord Jesus Christ" from the BGT Text to the command line, put it in parenthesis and then to the right of that typed "theos" with first the and query and the the phrase query. That didn't work so after a few more expierements I sent in my cry for help. Thank you for speedy reply!

John Mark

Yaku Lee
08-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Sorry... I wasn't really paying attention to the manner or form of the greek words in which I had typed. Originally I had copied the phrase (taken for ex. from James 1:1) "and the Lord Jesus Christ" from the BGT Text to the command line, put it in parenthesis and then to the right of that typed "theos" with first the and query and the the phrase query. That didn't work so after a few more expierements I sent in my cry for help. Thank you for speedy reply!

John Mark

Try this and see if that’s what you want.

1. Go through [Tools]à[Options]à[General Greek options]. Double click on “General Greek options” and see if the box before “Search on Greek versions is accent sensitive” is checked. If is checked, then uncheck it. Otherwise leave it alone, because you don’t want your search to be accent sensitive.

2. Type “bgm” and “enter key” on the search command line, so that your search will be based on the BGM morphological data.

3. Enter the following on the search command line: <(‘kai kurioj ihsouj cristoj).3(qeoj)>. Type only the characters inside the <> but not the <> themselves. You will notice that all the Roman letters will be changed to appropriate Greek letters automatically. And “3” means within three verses, and you can experiment with any number you want.

This works fine on my BW7. Try and see if it works on yours.

Wishing you gook luck.

Yaku Lee

jmbpastor
08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your help. It is appreciated!
I guess I was adding to many apostrophe's / periods, etc. It works great now. Thanks. :D