PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Pierpont Greek Text

kro
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I am noticing changes to the new Robinson-Pierpont Greek text without any change to the tags. And the tags do not agree with the text. Have gone thru Ephesians text and found many. Now working thru Matthew with the same problem. As an example:

auvto,j@rpdms (Mt.2:2) in the new2005 update.
auvtw/@rpdms (Mt.2:2) in the original 1995 text.

The spelling in the 2005 Grk text suggests a Nom, but the tag is Dative; like the original 1995 text.

Not sure how to dialog with Maurice Robinson or even if I am misinterpreting something.

united_by_truth
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I am noticing changes to the new Robinson-Pierpont Greek text without any change to the tags. And the tags do not agree with the text. Have gone thru Ephesians text and found many. Now working thru Matthew with the same problem. As an example:

auvto,j@rpdms (Mt.2:2) in the new2005 update.
auvtw/@rpdms (Mt.2:2) in the original 1995 text.

The spelling in the 2005 Grk text suggests a Nom, but the tag is Dative; like the original 1995 text.

Not sure how to dialog with Maurice Robinson or even if I am misinterpreting something.

I have R-P text 7.015p, dated 6/6/08. It reads (in Unicode)
Εἴδομεν γὰρ αὐτοῦ τὸν ἀστέρα ἐν τῇ ἀνατολῇ, καὶ ἤλθομεν προσκυνῆσαι αὐτῷ.
I am not sure I follow you. I assume you are talking about the second αὐτός. It is dative in form and tagging.

Perhaps you could give some other examples.

EdMellott
07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
The changes in the Robinson-Pierpont text that are discussed in this post are actually corrections to the 1995 text, as the original entries were in error.

Remember that in a morphological database, the first part of any word entry is always the lemma, or, lexical form of the word. This enables the search engine to find all occurrences of a given word, no matter what the form, and then filter according to any morphological codes included as part of the search criteria.

In the 1995 text, many words had, instead of the lemma, the actual word form itself. Needless to say, this would cause that entry to be missed by a correctly constructed morphological search entry.