PDA

View Full Version : Can't Type * in Greek

dsoemarko
07-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I am trying to search for pist* (in Greek). However, when I tried to type it in in search window, I got ".pist;"

That is, when I typed the asterisk (*) key, I got semicolor ( ; ). Does anyone know why?

wie
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Make sure that you use the correct keyboard. Click on the keyboard symbol and choose your language.
Often this reverts to English for some reason.

jfidel
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
BW will select the correct language based upon the search text. Make sure you are in a Greek Text, next make sure you start your search with a period.

John Fidel

Brian Fink
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
To search for a word or phrase in BW, you must prepend an apostrophe.

'pist*

Does this help?

Yaku Lee
07-25-2008, 03:25 AM
I am trying to search for pist* (in Greek). However, when I tried to type it in in search window, I got ".pist;"

That is, when I typed the asterisk (*) key, I got semicolor ( ; ). Does anyone know why?

If you click [Help] on the Menu Bar and click again on [Study Guide] on the drop-down menu, a separate window will appear. Go through all of the items shown in blue characters. I am certain it will be a very good investment of your time in the long run. Sometimes you forget things after you have gone through.

However, for a shortcut for your current question, type the three letter abbreviation of the search version on the command line, for example, <gnt>. (Of course you type only the characters inside the <>.) This tells the BibleWorks that your search will be on GNT, and GNT will also be shown on the Display Window. Then type in the word you want to search after a period, for example, <.pist*> on the keyboard and the command line displays “.pist*”. Apparently in the Greek word search after a period, wild cards (i.e. * and ?) are recognized as wild cards and not as a part of the Greek characters (i.e. * and ?). You can put your wild cards anywhere you wish. All this is based on a common keyboard. With a special keyboard, it may be a different story.

This doesn’t exactly explain the reason why, but at least I hope this will help you do what you wanted to do.

Yaku Lee

dsoemarko
07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies, but my problem is still there.

It is not something with the version or keyboard layout, because I can type the Greek text. It is only that the '*' is changed to a ';'

Say I have selected GNT. When I typed ".pist*", I get ".pist;" The first 4 letters (pist) are shown in Greek (I don't know how to type in Greek here, but they show correctly on the command line), but the last character '*' becomes a ';'

I am sure I have done searching like that in Greek before, but something seems to have changed. I suspect that it has something to do with me loading the Chinese character and input method, but I don't know for sure.

Yaku Lee
08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies, but my problem is still there.

It is not something with the version or keyboard layout, because I can type the Greek text. It is only that the '*' is changed to a ';'

Say I have selected GNT. When I typed ".pist*", I get ".pist;" The first 4 letters (pist) are shown in Greek (I don't know how to type in Greek here, but they show correctly on the command line), but the last character '*' becomes a ';'

I am sure I have done searching like that in Greek before, but something seems to have changed. I suspect that it has something to do with me loading the Chinese character and input method, but I don't know for sure.

Oh, yes. When I installed some “unauthorized” Korean versions some time ago, my BW system would shut down on its own after I opened it. So I had to remove all the “unauthorized” Korean versions, and clean out the entire BW system from my PC, first by uninstalling BW (Control Panel, Program Install/Uninstall) and second by deleting the root directory of “BibleWorks 7.” This directory is normally found at “C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7.” After this clean out, I had to reinstall the entire BW system.

Unfortunately in my case, a new problem persisted. Every time I exit the BW session, a window pops up and tells me to save some unfamiliar file. I finally had to clean out the entire disk and reinstall the Operating System and everything. Now everything runs just fine. Of course I do not install any “unauthorized” Bible versions anymore.

I don’t think my problem was caused by any virus. I believe it was caused by some conflict in the use of character codes by different languages, or by something else in the process of tampering with those other versions.

So your culprit may be your “loading the Chinese character and input method.” Undo it and see if that solves your problem.

With best wishes.

Yaku Lee