PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Databases &/or Patches From Old To New Computer?

alcantley
07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
My old (Win XP Pro, BW 7) computer died and I now have a new one running Vista-32 with BW 7 installed and configured but not completely updated with all available patches. I am on an extremely slow dial-up connection and don't want to re-download existing databases from bibleworks.com (most are on the old computer - I have the old hard drive with the BW 7 program directory intact now on D: drive of my new computer). Can I copy over the databases and/or patches from D: to C: where BW 7 is re-installed? If so, to which ...\patches subdirectories (applied, autoload, _ptchtmp, etc...) do I copy from old to new?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks.

Blessings,
Al Cantley

Mark Eddy
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes, you can copy the files from one computer to the other. Take them from the "Applied" patches folder in the old computer and put them into the "Applied" patches folder on the new computer. Then run BW7 "Help" under "BibleWorks on the Internet" click on "Check for updates". Be sure that you then click the "Options" titled "Show downloaded patches", then click the latest numbered patch for each update you desire. I copy BW patches between my two computers all the time due to slow dial-up speeds, and the above procedure works fine.
Mark Eddy

alcantley
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Mark,

Does BW compare the database version(s) in the ...\Databases folder to the latest versions on their servers in making up the list in the dialog window when "Check for Updates" is selected? What is the difference between the bold entries versus the other entries if downloaded patches are not displayed?

Thanks.

Blessings,
Al Cantley

Michael Hanel
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Bold entries in the Updater are files that are highly recommended to be downloaded, usually EXE files or main database upgrades. Those not in bold are updates that can be downloaded but may or may not be as important to you, such as foreign language database updates or the like.

Mark Eddy
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Mark,

Does BW compare the database version(s) in the ...\Databases folder to the latest versions on their servers in making up the list in the dialog window when "Check for Updates" is selected?
The list you see includes all your applied patches plus any newer patches on the BW server. So, just click on the latest number for any duplicate patches. Those that are already on your computer will not re-download, and the newer patches will download. So, depending on how long ago your last download was, your update may still take a long time, but a lot less long than if you had to download everything.

What is the difference between the bold entries versus the other entries if downloaded patches are not displayed?

Michael H. ably answered this one.
Mark Eddy