PDA

View Full Version : Literary Genre

oblig
07-01-2008, 05:57 AM
I am new to BW and am finding it hugely useful if a tad complex. I need to sort several hundred bible verses, mainly OT according to literary genre: it may be that the book they are from is law but the specific utterance might be prophetic and that in turn might be apocalyptic, it seems as though Logos can do such a thing (I realise this is subjective but at least it is a start) but don't really want to purchase another piece of software.

I am also reluctant to do it 'by hand' as it will take me days, any ideas would be very welcome.

And please be gentle this is my first post!

MGVH
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, Logos does have a resource with genre coding attached, and yes, it is somewhat subjective but still helpful. (OTOH, if I really need to do a comprehensive search, I'm always afraid that such subjective labeling will cause me to miss a reference that is important to me...)

What needs to be done is to create Verse Lists with the particular verses you specify. I've hoped that others would also come to my aid with similar such lists for JEPD coding, synoptic Gospel coding, etc...

So, if you spend days/weeks/months getting the verse list composed, please share it here!

Joshua Luna
07-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Mark, mentioning JEPD and Synoptic Gospel coding is quite cruel!

For JEPD, what would be the preferred way to do this in Bibleworks? Use a copy of WTT and highlight? For the most part this shouldn't be very difficult (for the Torah), but the question would be what JEPD model to follow and how deep? I would think that simpler models would work best (instead of R1, R2, R3, R4... haha).

I have a couple outlines in books, but is there one in particular others think would be most useful?

Glenn Weaver
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Joshua,

The most useful way would be to tag a copy of the WTM. By having a tagged text you can create color files, verse lists, word lists, and even conduct searches on the text. The only thing you can pull from the color files is a verse list.

If you begin this project, feel free to contact me for any help you may need.

MGVH
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, Joshua, which JEPD and synoptic scheme...? Let's just say that I am not taking on those projects!
And Glenn, what exactly do you mean by a "tagged text"? From your post, I am presuming this is not the same as color coding a text. Is there some reference somewhere to this? Or is this the process of creating a "Custom Module" using the HTML/Help file process described in the manual?
Thanks.

Glenn Weaver
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Mark,

A tagged text is one that you would compile using the Version Database Compiler. The finished text will appear in the Browse Window and will be searchable using the Command Line.

For example of a tagged text, here is the "create", BARA, from the WTM of Genesis 1:1. (The text is exported using the Export Database tool, using the CCAT format. This is the format you will want to use to compile a Hebrew text.)

BR)@vqp3ms+SxxxxJxCxAxExHaNxRx

Notice the lemma on the left, followed by the @ sign, then the parsing codes. You can actually export the text and then append your own codes to it, then compile the text as your own version.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you take this route:

--Chose your coding scheme carefully. Extra time spent planning for EVERY tagging option needed will save a lot of time and frustration. In fact, it could keep you from having to redo the entire project if it isn't tagged correctly.

--The morphology helper will not work for your new codes, and the GSE morphology helper won't work, either. Since there are few people creating their own tagged versions, you possibly could run into some oddities. I suggest compiliing a small sample before doing all the work in order to make sure that it works properly.

--You will be able to search the text on the command line using wildcards.

--If someone produces such a text as this, we may be interested in licensing it. In that case, we would be able to add the additional functionality to the program to make it function using the morphology helper.

--Keep in mind that the WTM is a copyrighted database. Derivative works probably aren't acceptable, either. I can't say what to do for your own personal use, but for distribution to others you may want to only use the lemma and @ sign, and remove all the other WTM codes, so that the only codes are your own tagging codes for JEDP, etc.

I hope this helps. It would be a little more work to prepare such a text, but it will be much more useful than simply a color file.