PDA

View Full Version : Searching footnotes in NET Bible

NickBailey
06-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Does anyone know how I can search footnotes in the BibleWorks texts? For example, I'd like to search the footnotes in NET Bible. I have BibleWorks 6.

Nick

jdarlack
06-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure if there is a way to do this. If anyone knows how, I'd like to know as well. Sounds like a decent feature suggestion.

Jim Wert
06-20-2008, 11:33 PM
There are at least two ways to search NET Bible and its notes, neither of them very good.
I haven't found any way to search just the notes.

1. In BibleWorks: Tools / Export Database / check "Export notes and cross references", scroll down to NET, click on OK, save as .txt. Use Notepad, or some other editor to search for what you want. The exported database contains formatting characters, text, and notes. Not pleasant to read.

2. Download the NET Bible from http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3086. Choose the "HTML Help version (includes search)"
Use the search panel on the left side of the window.
Enter your search word.
When you "List Topics" the chapters with hits will be listed, indicating which are notes. Use the "Display" button to view that chapter, or that chapter's notes. The sought word is highlighted; you may need to scroll down to see it.
I don't know how accurate this search is: I suspect it doesn't get everything.