PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew Display Fix

MBushell
06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi All,
I posted a fix a couple of days ago for a Hebrew accent display problem. Unfortunately the fix caused more problems than it fixed. I have posted a corrected executable now that should take care of the problem. It was serious enough that I thought I'd notify the forum. Sorry about that.
God bless,
Mike

David Kummerow
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
The new executable for me introduces a display error with the Z9 metheg accent in WTT. Displays as a small circle and unicode export retains the error.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5554/methegxk1.png

Regards,
David.

yugu
06-05-2008, 01:52 AM
I've reported to the BW crew another issues, which seems to be 'rudiments' of the Meteg fix: the Dehi/Tippeha prepositive is not shown in the beginning of the verses (in Psalms, for instance 22:5, 7, 11). BTW, the same text shown in search window does appear as it should.
Another issue is with the double proper names without Maqqaf: they appear in continuous way (without gaps) and in the Accent/Vowels OFF mode still remains some strange Meteg on the second of those words.
The BW team works on those, I think that the last update (.10) still hasn't dealt with the issues stated above.

David Kummerow
06-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Stange, compound names without maqqef display separated for me. Also, prepositive accent in the Psalms references you listed display properly for me.

Regards,
David.

MBushell
06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi David,
I just posted another exe. Hopefully this is better.
The prepositive problem was fixed in the previous post, which is why you weren't seeing the problem. Yugu apparently hasn't gotten the update.
In case anyone is interested, a major part of the problem is the Microsoft compiler. The compiler optimizer is generating spurious code for the accenting routine. It is apparently too complicated for the optimizer. So I have to work around it. We'll get this licked eventually. Thanks for your patience.
Mike

yugu
06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Sorry, I have been outdated in the previous post: Now the issue of Dehi and the Proper Names is resolved, but I do have the same problem as David posted above (Also Ps. 22:3) and :eek: some strings in the Psalms appears in Greek/Special symbols (Ps 1:4 and sometimes Ps. 22:3 instead of that circle shows in Greek).
All of these instances are the deviations of Middle Meteg problem... Hope that will help...

PS: If we already talking about that: Why those compound names have the dot in between them, is it for internal BW needs (the dots disappear while Unicode exporting)? Thanks.

yugu
06-05-2008, 02:27 AM
All of the issues are fixed with the last update (as I can see at least)! Congratulations!
The only thing left is the Meteg which shows on the left of the Hattaf accents and not in the middle (the point everything has begun from)... But that seems to be to complicated according to Mike's previous post.

David Kummerow
06-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Great work, Mike! All seems to be displaying properly again. Thanks indeed.

But that seems to be to complicated according to Mike's previous post.
A complicating matter is the nature of BW Hebrew font. Since it is a non-unicode font, additional glyphs need to be added to the font for these additional possibilities with metheg. That is, since the current font does not have glyphs to represent the particular vowel and accent combination, an interim (?) measure is the mapping to one that can be displayed with the current font, namely, placing metheg after the hatef vowel. Personally, I'm happy with this as we can see what's happening and copy-and-paste into Word can be repaired with a find-and-replace if necessary. In any case, from memory Aleppo has the accent after the vowel anyway vis-a-vis Leningrad.

Regards,
David.

yugu
06-05-2008, 03:58 AM
In any case, from memory Aleppo has the accent after the vowel anyway vis-a-vis Leningrad

Well, that's already a different level of things. Occasionally I'm working now with the Medieval manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible. The Aleppo Codex is the famous member of the whole family of Ben-Asher's Tiberian tradition (at least so the Jerusalem school is inclined to think presently). Yet there are almost twenty other manuscripts of the same tradition (L [=B19A] is the another famous one of them). All of those differ one from another at some (not much) points, but maybe 80% or even 90% of the differences are due to Metegs.
So its a very delicate decision to place Meteg or not and where. For instance in Ps 41:5 אני the Meteg is on the right in the AC, in Ps 42:6, 12 (both in the word לאלהים) its not at all in the AC, but once on the left and once on the right in L (and in BW accordingly). Indeed I've not yet met with the Middle Meteg, but promise to do some research on that issue (if it's interesting for anybody of course...)
Each publisher of the Hebrew Bible (in print or electronically) at some point have to decide whether it will be a Diplomatic Edition or an Eclectic one (the scholars of LXX should immediately think of Rahlfs' and Gottingen' editions as an example). Thats, probably, the proper way to decide, if it necessary at all to represent the graphics of manuscripts, at which exactness and which manuscript to chose as the main version...