PDA

View Full Version : Can I do sophisticated grammatical searches in Philo?

Brandon
05-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I have not yet purchased BW7, but I am seriously considering it as perhaps the best value out there compared with competitors. However, my needs are specific. So, here's what I want to be able to do. Can I?

Can I
1. Develop grammatical searches to run on, say, Philo or Josephus? An example would be to find any Gk verb in a clause or sentence with two accusative objects? E.g. καλεω with objects.

2. Identify a section of text (e.g., Sirach) and create a vocabulary list from it? (I know Perseus does this, but it doesn't have the OT Apoc.).

3. Develop a book-specific concordance?

4. Finally, when might BW7 provide access to OT Pseudepigrapha and NT Apocrypha morph-tagged texts like Accordance has?:o

Thanks for helping with the answers.

Brandon L. Fredenburg, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean and Associate Professor of Bible
College of Biblical Studies and Behavioral Sciences
Lubbock Christian University
Lubbock, Texas

Glenn Weaver
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Brandon,

The NT, LXX, Josephus, Philo, and the Apostolic Fathers are all morphologically-tagged. You can create complex searches based upon word order, morphological tagging, etc. The databases are not tagged syntactically, howeaver, so you would have to create your search accordingly and filter out invalid search hits. Each of these texts is included in the base package.

Creating a vocabulary list for specific sections of text is easy using the Word List Manager tool included in BibleWorks.

You can create a book-specific concordance using the KWIC (Key Word in Context) tool included in BibleWorks. The output format is similar to what you would find in a concordance like Strong's Concordance.

We are always adding new texts, but we do not currently have those texts for BibleWorks 7.

If you haven't done so already, check out the program information pages on the main BibleWorks website to see some of the things that you can do with the program.