PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew verb diagnostics vocabulary files

Matt Hauger
05-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Put together this vocabulary flashcard set for reviewing the various verb diagnostics. It's helpful for my own review, and I thought maybe someone else would find it useful.

EDIT: All right, new version. I added the chapter numbers from Pratico-Van Pelt (Basics of Biblical Hebrew) and corrected a few errors. I'm sure there are more errors in here, so if anyone notices them, let me know! Happy parsing!

Note that the .zip file also includes a few notes on how I put the file together, as well as a screenshot of what the vocab module should look like if you're using the right font for your Browse Window.

Joshua Luna
05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Matt, it looks nice. Thanks for sharing!

SCSaunders
05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Nice job! I just loaded it and took a quick look. Thanks for all the hard work. I will figure out a way to incorporate this in a scheduled review. Great job.

Joshua Luna
05-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Matt, I had some time this morning to test out your file. You did a good job. The only suggestion I have off the top of my head is adding the chapter numbers.

It is unfortunate BW doesn't offer more options in the labelling and filtering so that a user could sort out words in a list more specifically than "verb" "noun" etc but all "Qal" or "Imperfects" or even all "Qal Imperfects." I guess this can be done with the WLM, but it would be a nice nuance for the Flashcard module itself.

Matt Hauger
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Matt, I had some time this morning to test out your file. You did a good job. The only suggestion I have off the top of my head is adding the chapter numbers.

It is unfortunate BW doesn't offer more options in the labelling and filtering so that a user could sort out words in a list more specifically than "verb" "noun" etc but all "Qal" or "Imperfects" or even all "Qal Imperfects." I guess this can be done with the WLM, but it would be a nice nuance for the Flashcard module itself.

Yeah, I'll try to go back through and add the BBH chapter numbers soon -- shouldn't take too long. As for filtering, you should be able to do what you want with the vocabulary flashcard module. In the filter dialog box, check 'Filter by part of speech.' Select 'Verb (v)' and then type 'vqi' (for Qal imperfects) in the part of speech filter entry blank. Not exactly intuitive, but it does work.

Wally Morris
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I am new to BW7. How do I add your file to BW7?

Adelphos
05-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I am new to BW7. How do I add your file to BW7?

Save the zip file to your hard disk, then unzip the .vrt file to your c:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7\init folder (assuming a default installation).

Once you've unzipped the .vrt file to you init folder, then open BibleWorks. Once you have BibleWorks open, open the Vocabulary module --

Tools | Vocabulary Flashcard Module

Once you have the vocab module open, choose File | Import and navigate to the .vrt file you just unzipped into this folder.

Matt Hauger
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Corrected some errors and keyed the chapter numbers to Pratico/Van Pelt's 'Basics of Biblical Hebrew.' See my first post in this thread for the file. Peace!

Adelphos
05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Corrected some errors and keyed the chapter numbers to Pratico/Van Pelt's 'Basics of Biblical Hebrew.' See my first post in this thread for the file. Peace!

Matt, when I import the .vrc file I get a bunch of squares instead of the Hebrew font.

Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing this?

Matt Hauger
05-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Scott,

I did use a box character as a placeholder for a consonant/radical. Check out the screenshot included in the .zip file above. Is that how yours looks?

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!

Matt H.

Joshua Luna
05-31-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the update Matt.

Scott, if you are getting squares along with some "random" vowel points and Hebrew characters that is the "goal." The diagnostic approach to learning the Hebrew verbal system focuses on mastering the patterns of the morphology of the Hebrew verbs instead of rote memorization of the paradigms. Certain patterns are determined to be useful for parsing a word. Not every character or vowel is helpful in identifying a word, so only those that are unique/helpful or focused on. So for the Qal passive participle you memorize first radical qamets and a shuruq between the 2nd and 3rd radical; for the Qal infinitive absolute it is first radical qamets and cholem vav between the 2nd and 3rd radicals, and so forth.

I found this method to be helpful as you identify what makes each pattern distinctive. You still have a bit to memorize, but as you progress you focus less on paradigm memorization and more on diagnostics and applying principles you learned (e.g. a guttural cannot take a vocal shewa) to understand why other changes are taking place in a word. In some ways it is similar to the mechanical parsing methods by Ross, Chisholm, Kline, etc.

Anyhow, seeing a lot of squares is to be expected :)

Adelphos
05-31-2008, 11:14 AM
I did use a box character as a placeholder for a consonant/radical.

Yes. I just took a very quick look and assumed it was wrong. Now I see what you're doing. Nice work.

Michael Hanel
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Posted about it here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/2008/07/new-vocabulary-file-hebrew-verb.html). Thanks Matt!!