PDA

View Full Version : Can I search in one version and read the context in another?

DavidIB
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know how to search in one version and read the context in another version?

I'd like to search in Greek and Hebrew and quickly read the context of each verse in English to discover which ones are relevant.

But when I search in Hebrew and click on a verse in the Found list, I can only read read multiple versions of that same verse. If I click on the footsteps to toggle to the context, I have to read the context in Hebrew. If I change to display an English version, the Search version changes too, and the Found list disappears.

Is there a setting which will stop the Search version changing when I change the primary display version?

David IB

Philip Brown
05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi, David,

If I understand your question, it can be done. Here are the steps. (I'm assuming BW 7.0 throughout)
1. Do your Hebrew or Greek search. E.g., WTT ~wlv
2. On the commandline type p wtt nau. p = parallel versions window; wtt and nau specify the versions you want. You could have wtt nau rsv etc.
3. Click on the title bar of the Parallel Windows version to give it the focus.
4. click through the verse list in the command center and notice that the parallel versions follow you.
5. In order to browse the previous context in the nau, you will have to unlink the English version in the parallel window:
a. Right click the area above the bible text
b. Choose the first option in the menu: Show Current Verse
c. Note the radio button, check box, and verse reference that appear.
d. Uncheck the box. This will allow you to scroll up and down in the English text without affect the command center search or display version.
e. The immediate (negative) side effect of unlinking the English version is that the command center verse list will go blank.
f. To restore the verse list, click the left Search Window History button that is next to the command line.
g. It appears that you lose hit highlighting in the command center, but you don't lose the hit highlights in the parallel version window in the wtt.

An oddity I've noticed while working this out is that occasionally I have to click twice on a verse in the verse list to get both the wtt and the nau to display that precise verse.

Hopefully this provides a means of achieving your purpose.

DavidIB
05-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks. That works great. But, as you say, when you do browse up and down in the parallel English version, you lose the list.
And when you restore the list, your English version becomes Hebrew.
Though you can avoid losing the English if you click inside the parallel Hebrew before restoring the list.

This does look like a lot of work though. I've been using Accordance on the PC, and it is so much easier. I've had a go at doing the same thing on both as a comparison:

In BW7, if you want to see a couple of verses above and below
in Hebrew and English, in a list you have searched for,
you need to first set everything up as you have described, ie
a) do your search in Hebrew,
b) then type "p wtt nau" (or whatever you want) in the command line,
c) click on the parallel window to activate it,
d) right-click on top of the English and allow scrolling,
e) click in the Hebrew column (so you don't lose the English when you search in Hebrew)
f) redo your search (because clicking in the English wiped the search)
And then FOR EACH VERSE you have to:
a) click on the next verse
b) click on the Up arrow on the English version a couple of times to scroll the English up a couple of verses
c) click somewhere in the parallel Hebrew (so that when you search again, the English doesn't turn to Hebrew)
d) click on the history button of the search, and run the search again (because it went blank when you scrolled the English)
(wait... while the search is run again)
e) scroll down the list and try to remember the last verse you clicked on (because the program lost your place in the list when it lost the list)

In Accordance on the PC,
a) search with the normal multi-column layout,
b) click on Add Context and chose how many verses to display either side.
Then FOR EACH VERSE
a) click on "Verse"

Or, if you want to see the whole context, set context to "All"
and then FOR EACH VERSE
a) click on "Mark"
b) if you want to see some verses above, press PgUp

You don't need to move your mouse, or remember what place you have got to in the list. Much quicker.

Is there perhaps a quicker way in BibleWorks?
If not, is this something for v.8?

Ideally I'd like a combination of BW and Accordance
- I like seeing the list of verses AND the context (as in BW)
- I like simply clicking on the same spot each time to see the next verse (as in Accordance)
- I don't like having to memorise which verse I've got to and re-running the search for each verse (as in BW when you look at the context in a different version)

Ah well - we are very fortunate in Biblical Studies to have so many good tools.

THanks for your help.

MGVH
05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I just posted a response (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/05/bibleworks-logos-accordance-searching.html) to this type of task and how one might do it in BibleWorks, Logos, and Accordance.
You will see that I included short video demonstrations of each and some conclusions.

BibleWorks was the most awkward and difficult in conducting this task.

David, the only thing I did differently from what you suggest is in the parallel windows display. Clicking on the English pane and doing the "current verse" deal was a pain... I think it is easier simply to scroll up/down in the original language version, then hit the synchronize button on the left side. This way you don't lose the hit results, and you don't lose your last viewed hit.

Thanks for posing this question!
Mark

yugu
05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
While reading the discourse above I've thought about possible improvement to the BW, which can make user's life easier in many terms, but maybe it's not exactly the right place to post it here :confused::
The parallel or columnar display should be allowed in the main browse window?!
Comments?!

Michael Hanel
05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
While reading the discourse above I've thought about possible improvement to the BW, which can make user's life easier in many terms, but maybe it's not exactly the right place to post it here :confused::
The parallel or columnar display should be allowed in the main browse window?!
Comments?!

I think that would be a good option. The parallel window was used mostly for Synoptic studies initially it would seem, but parallel window is very useful and definitely could use some more tweaking.

Adelphos
05-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I think that would be a good option. The parallel window was used mostly for Synoptic studies initially it would seem, but parallel window is very useful and definitely could use some more tweaking.

I think it would be problematic to activate the parallel window within the browse window, but I do believe that the parallel window could be significantly enhanced.

This would be the best of both worlds, IMO. In other words, really spruce up the parallel window with more functionality and more options. Perhaps even make it so that the parallel window could run asynchronously, or even without the full program being activated, i.e., sort of a mini-BibleWorks.

Either way, if the parallel window functionality could be significantly increased, along with its own button bar, and numerous other options, this could really increase BW's already enormous capabilities.