PDA

View Full Version : What is Daniel (TH)?

revzach
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm sure I should already know this, but if I bring up Daniel in the BGT, there are two versions that display themselves one atop the other--for example...

BGT Daniel 2:18καὶ παρήγγειλε νηστείαν καὶ δέσιν καὶ τιμωρίαν ζητῆσαι παρὰ τοῦ κυρίου τοῦ ὑψίστου περὶ τοῦ μυστηρίου τούτου oπως μὴ ἐκ δοθῶσι Δανιηλ καὶ οἱ μετ᾽αὐτοῦ εἰς ἀπώλειαν ἅματοῖς σοφισταῖς Βαβυλῶνος
BGT Daniel (TH) 2:18 καὶ οἰκτιρμοὺς ἐζήτουν παρὰ τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ὑπὲρ τοῦ μυστηρίου τούτουὅ πωςἂν μὴ ἀπόλωνται Δανιηλ καὶ οἱφίλοι αὐτοῦ μετὰ τῶν ἐπιλοίπων σοφῶν Βαβυλῶνος

...so what the world is the second one? What's "Daniel (TH)?"

Philip Brown
05-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Th = Theodotian

yugu
05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
A bit more on the Theodotion recension of the LXX...
It's a now widely accepted idea, that on the basis of linguistic/vocabulary analysis of the text of the LXX we can refer to two main recensions (or maybe revisions) of the Greek Bible: the first is known as the Old Greek translation and the second called Theodotion (or Kaige-Theodotion, because of one of it's features). The last one found mainly in the LXX of the books Samuel - Kings (to my mind the Old Greek translation of these texts is not available anymore, since the Kaige recension/revision replaced it), but also as parallel to the OG of Daniel. Thus we have two LXX recensions/revisions of Daniel today.
Few more words: The name Theodotion is given to this text because it is found in one of the columns of Origen's Hexapla, proposed author of which is the (otherwise) unknown man called Theodotion.
The difference between recension and revision is that first one refers to independent translation of Hebrew to Greek, while in the second case we would say that the already existent translation was revised anew (for such and such reasons)...
Hope that it is helpful and if you are interested in more info on that then I'd send you to the works of Barthelemy (mainly Devanciers, as I know it's pioneering work on the issue in question) and Tov.

Yaku Lee
05-20-2008, 02:17 AM
Origen of Alexandria (185?-?254) compiled a Hexapla edition of the Scriptures sometime before 240 CE in Caesarea, Palestine. In it, the first column was the Hebrew text and the second column was the same in Greek characters. The remaining four columns were Greek translations of the Hebrew OT: Aquila, Symmachus, the Septuagint, and Theodotian. The Hexapla “was known to have been extant as late as c. 600 CE. Today it survives only in fragments.” (from Encyclopedia Britannica.)
Yaku Lee

proftrh
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi all! Question...
I found in BW help that the DAT (Daniel TH) version is supposed to be found in the LXT, BLM, BGT, BGM texts. However, when I display them, it still does not give me access to to the extra verses in DAT as opposed to DAN. (E.g. I wanted to see Dat 3:41...but can't see it when I'm using LXT as a display version)
How can I see such verses? What text do I need to use as a display version?
thanks all!

Mark Eddy
10-13-2011, 01:35 AM
In the BW Options Window (get to it via the wrench button), click on "Miscellaneous Configuration Flags" and expand the "General Greek options" andso you can check "Show all LXX variants in Browse Window." That way you'll see Theodotion together with the standard LXX.
Another way would be to type "Dat 3:41" (without the quotation marks) on the command line to search for the verse in Theodotion itself.
Mark Eddy