PDA

View Full Version : Critical Commentaries...

yugu
05-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello,
I think, that virtually all of the users of BW software would like to have in the BW every possible modern critical commentary (OTL, ICC, WBC, AB, FOTL, HK are the most know ones).
Even more: if it would be possible to browse the Bible text along with the chosen commentary/ies aside of it (like the engine of the parallel versions?), that would be great!!! I'm quite sure that such a volume of additions/changes deserves to be done within the next program version, yet every possible progress has began from imagination... :)
I'd appreciate other ideas in the area...
Sincerely,
Yuri.

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I think, that virtually all of the users of BW software would like to have in the BW every possible modern critical commentary

Don't number me in that group; I prefer the BW philosophy over the Logos philosophy. I prefer my commentaries in print and my alphabetical tools computerized. So I have happily purchased BDAG, HALOT, and the Tov LXX-MT alignment and would love to see ABD or even the old IDB. But I won't be buying electronic versions of commentaries any time soon.

Adelphos
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I prefer the BW philosophy over the Logos philosophy.

Me too. However, I don't mind if BW adds innumerable commentaries as long as they make them add-ons so as not to increase the price of the base BW version.

I think it's inevitable that BW and other biblically related software companies are going to be integrating all sorts of tools, including commentaries, into their main programs. As long as they make them optional, I think it's the best of both worlds.

Some like electronic commentaries; some don't. That's what makes horse-racing, as they say.

Like you, I generally won't even think about reading a commentary in electronic form, but also prefer the hardcopy editions. However, when I want to search for something in that commentary, the electronic version is invaluable.

In the same vein, I don't actually read Scripture in BW, but for searching Scripture and other comparison activities, BW is of course irreplacable.

So in summary, if BW can get them and make them available, all the better... as long as they're optional.

yugu
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi,
Well, your point as well as your preferences are understandable... Me, personally, also not using the electronic texts for thorough reading, but for reference and searching only. Yet, for those who live in a very mobile fashion (like me, most of my study papers were written on the way, at work and at other strange places). Therefore the many texts I'm able to pack into the laptop - the simplier my life will become.
Anyway, seems i'm in minority with this idea :)...
Have a good week,
Yuri.

arggem
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Anyway, seems i'm in minority with this idea :)...
Yuri.

Oh, I think it might be a tad early to conclude that. There are MANY BW users and only two have responded!

I heartily endorse the philosophical position of BW with respect to not being a digital library. That's not their calling.

On the other hand critical commentaries could be construed to fall within that calling.

I hate reading books on line, but do like them for reference. I hope real books never go out of style.

But, as a missionary in Argentina, I travel a lot, and books cost a lot to transport, so I, too, want as much on my Hard Drive as possible!

So...I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY! :)

I would encourage BW to add commentary modules when they can, but not to get distracted from their mission. I hope that's not too much of a contradiction.

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyway, seems i'm in minority with this idea

I don't think a response from just Scott and me constitutes a very sure sign that you're in the minority. A larger sampling of BW users would constitute a more meaningful survey result.

Actually, I agree with how Scott put it too, that as long as they're optional, I can see the use of adding commentaries. I just don't want the price jacked up and the menu system cluttered up to make that possible.

Dan Phillips
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Count me in the reluctant both/and category but man, that gets expen$$ive.

The more I use Logos, the more I love my BW for what it does. I mean love it. I used versions 4-6 (maybe as early as 3?), but I love ver 7.

Having said that, I love what Logos does, too. But what it does is different, and I just don't think BW can do what Logos does without ceasing to be as excellent at what it does.

MGVH
05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
I too use both BW7 and Logos, and I use them for different purposes. For the most part, I do my textual, primary source work in BW7. I do my secondary work in Logos.

Exceptions:
I have SESB in Logos, so I can more easily see the text variants. In BW7, I get most of what I need using Metzger's Textual Commentary, Wieland Willker's Textual Commentary, the NET Bible notes, and a link in to the laparola (http://laparola.net/greco/) site.

I also use Logos for some Greek searches where its syntactic search tools come in handy.
That said, BW7 is already full of secondary resource tools that I use: grammars, lexicons, timelines, and map modules. These are all well-integrated and indispensable to my work.

And don't forget that BW7 also comes standard with:

Easton's Bible Dictionary (1897)
Fausset Bible Dictionary (1888)
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915)
Matthew Henry's Commentary (ca. 1710)

My main complaint is that these last four resources are of limited value in light of modern scholarship. (I did not say they have no value, so I am only pointing out here that a lot has happened in the last 300 or even 100 years of biblical studies...) These works are satisfactorily hooked in to the biblical texts via the Resource Summary tab.

I have recommended that BW get the rights to something like the Harper(Collins) Bible Dictionary (one volume, Logos sells it for $30) and the one volume Harper's Bible Commentary (again for about $30). I would probably stay in BW7 more with just those two resources at the tip of my mouse click.

If BW could get the price down sufficiently--say, get both of them for about $25 total--I would say add them in and raise the base price. Otherwise, it would be perfectly suitable to offer them as addon modules at a price that makes it profitable for BW. I don't want a whole library of secondary works (Logos does this well), but some quick reference stuff would be nice.

dribex
08-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I think that Mark's comments make good sense. I have Logos Gold and appreciate what they are doing. Logos' move toward the linguistic databases is a good one. I still do a lot of language work, however, in BW - and I always will. I would use BW even more if they had an up-to date Bible Dictionary and Commentary. Because of my conservative views, I would prefer the New Bible Dictionary and the New Bible Commentary over Harper's.

Will

barry
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Visit www.puritan-books.com for mega olde commentaries
Barry

Oh, I think it might be a tad early to conclude that. There are MANY BW users and only two have responded!

I heartily endorse the philosophical position of BW with respect to not being a digital library. That's not their calling.

On the other hand critical commentaries could be construed to fall within that calling.

I hate reading books on line, but do like them for reference. I hope real books never go out of style.

But, as a missionary in Argentina, I travel a lot, and books cost a lot to transport, so I, too, want as much on my Hard Drive as possible!

So...I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY! :)

I would encourage BW to add commentary modules when they can, but not to get distracted from their mission. I hope that's not too much of a contradiction.

barry
10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Visit www.puritan-books.com for mega olde commentaries
Barry

MortenJensen
11-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Mark
Thanks for your post here. There is a couple of things I was not aware of. The NET notes are good, it seems!

However, I could not locate the following items in my BW 7, should they be installed separately?

Wieland Willker's Textual Commentary,

Especially the first one seems interesting - how do I locate them?

Thanks

Morten

MGVH
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi, Morten,
Wieland Willker's extremely helpful Textual Commentary is available HERE on the BWBlog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=151). Look under Textual Criticism > NT Related.

The others you mentioned:

should have installed by default with BW7. From the menu:
Resources > Bible Dictionaries
When the new window opens, click on Dictionaries to choose the one you want.

MortenJensen
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply!
I see the Bible dictionaries now, great, thanks!
But - is there a way to have them shown also underthe Ressource Summary Tab? I cannot find a link to them there. I tend to use the RS-tab a lot.

Also, I have downloaded the Wieland textual commentary and installed it as described in the embedded instruction - unfortunately, a "missing page" is shown when I open the book (Help-file).

Is this a known error?

Thanks!
Morten

MGVH
11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi, Morten,
The Bible Dictionaries do not show up in the Resource Summary tab.
When using an English version, however, you can right click on a word, and one of the options is "Lookup in Default Bible Dictionary."

I don't know of any problems with the atextualcommentary files (Wieland's help files) Try opening atextualcommentary.CHM file directly from the BW7/databases directory.

Michael Hanel
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
The #1 tip for anyone who downloads a CHM file from us that does not work is to make sure the file is unblocked. How do I know this is the #1 tip? I've copied this link about five times in the forums :)

To unblock the CHM file, see here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2977&highlight=unblock).

MortenJensen
11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Great, Michael!
Thanks for your patience ...
Morten

Sansom48
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Hello,
I think, that virtually all of the users of BW software would like to have in the BW every possible modern critical commentary (OTL, ICC, WBC, AB, FOTL, HK are the most know ones).
Even more: if it would be possible to browse the Bible text along with the chosen commentary/ies aside of it (like the engine of the parallel versions?), that would be great!!! I'm quite sure that such a volume of additions/changes deserves to be done within the next program version, yet every possible progress has began from imagination... :)
I'd appreciate other ideas in the area...
Sincerely,
Yuri.

I think that to some extant I would like to see commentaries in Bibleworks, however, the question has to be raise of whether or not this would detract us from the text itself. The motto of Bibleworks is to focus on the text, which with the tools that they give us, reveals itself. unless you have added in some user created modules such as Homer's text, it is almost hard to open up Bibleworks and avoid the actual Bible. I find that commentaries while I turn to them for help on occasion (more than I would like to admit). However, when I do turn to them I find that I read what they write and barely look at the Text. I don't use Logos and doubt I ever will. (I simply don't have the finances to do so.) However, if I wanted more commentaries I would probably purchase something of this sort. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they put more commentaries into Bibleworks, but I would probably prefer more grammar's and lexical tools. (which seems to be the Bibleworks practice as I look at the new additions to BW8).

Dan Phillips
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
And he... he wrote it while wearing a cheap cartier love ring?

/c:

Pastor Bill
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Bw would be placed in the position of selecting which commentaries to post and i personally prefer to select the commentaries of a conservative bent rather that the other. Just a thought!

Sansom48
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Pastor Bill,
Just recently BBW has started working with WORDsearch to put some different books into BBW such as commentaries which in a lot of ways answers some of the questions/concerns of this thread. If you go to the website that talks about BBW on the WORDsearch site you will only see the IVP dictionary series at this point, but you can e-mail them to suggest certain books or commentaries that they could work on next. I would say that I am with you on the conservative commentaries, I do wonder how all these books will be implemented in. I have to go back on my words earlier in the thread, I found that I could get Logos, so just for the ability to have certain Concordia Publishing House books as well as a few others I did get a package. I will say that so far it isn't bad, but the one great flaw is that I almost have too many books in one software it makes it hard to find exactly what I want and am looking for and I would hate to see BBW be overloaded like that, so depending I may purchase more of these commentaries and books from WORDsearch but I will probably not purchasing a bunch just because I like the ease of use with books that BBW has with its set up right now. Not to mention, I will still probably gravitate toward dictionaries, lexicons, grammars and the such, if they do in fact digitize a commentary I would like to see a commentary that focuses on the exegesis of the text.

Sansom48
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
the website for the WORDsearch BibleWorks sources is here. (http://www.wordsearchbible.com/bibleworks/)