PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp3

Adelphos
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
MS will soon be releasing SP3 for XP. It will come out as a high priority upgrade. If you have your settings set for auto-update it will automatically grab and install it whether you want it to or not.

Although MS is stating that there are no significant changes in SP3, there ARE some security "enhancements", so I'd wait awhile before installing it. See how it pans out for a few weeks, otherwise you might have issues with BW and other apps all over again.

David Kummerow
05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I ran the beta version for a while without any issues. I currently have the RTM installed and it's also running without issues. The release itself has been delayed, but a functioning link is:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...e2300ebfde4.exe (http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/svpk/2008/04/windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe)

Regards,
David Kummerow.

richardsugg
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Same here. I've run SP3 for a few months and am now running the RTM version. No problems with BW.

Adelphos
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Same here. I've run SP3 for a few months and am now running the RTM version. No problems with BW.

Good to know. After the release version is out, I'll wait awhile longer to make sure there's no issues, then I'll try it.

I've got Vista Ultimate on CD (a gift), but I have no intention of installing it, at least not until Vista comes out with SP's that fix all their issues.

David, I don't know if you are aware of it, but the link you provided tries to automatically run an executable.

David Kummerow
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
David, I don't know if you are aware of it, but the link you provided tries to automatically run an executable. No I didn't know, but I suspect it may be some setting in your browser or download manager that requires setting differently. For me, the executable is downloaded without running and I can run/install it at my convenience. The file itself is sp3 which was withdrawn but should be available soon.

Regards,
David.

David Kummerow
05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I dug up the non-direct-download links if that's preferrable:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

Regards,
David.

SCSaunders
05-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I dug up the non-direct-download links if that's preferrable:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

Regards,
David.D/Ling now. Thanks. I thought I had SP3, as an automatic update around the time VISTA came out. Thanks for posting these links.

Adelphos
05-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Any of you running the latest release of SP3 now? If so, is everything going smoothly?

Dan Phillips
05-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I am, and it is.

Adelphos
05-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Ok, so after the testimonies above I bit the bullet and installed SP3...

and my computer wouldn't even boot afterwards.

And my computer is an HP, only about a year old, so there's no related age architecturue problem.

It took me three hours to finally be able to boot into safe mode and then uninstall SP3 without having to do a complete manufacturer recovery, which would have wiped out all my data, causing me to spend several days to get it all back onto my computer.

I had to trick my computer into thinking I was going to install Vista before I could even get the system sufficiently restored so as to be able to boot even into safe mode. Once I finally got to safe mode I was able to uninstall SP3.

Chalk up yet another MS absurdity.

If you have SP2 and you're happy with it, my advice is to stay with it.

David Kummerow
05-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Did you install from the full ISO? That's the second link in my post above. I've been reading the last couple of days of probems using the smaller update with HPs. I'm sorry I didn't get back here soon enough to post that updating probably is best done from the full CD image.

Regards,
David.

Dan Phillips
05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Really sorry to hear that! I installed it on two Dells older than your HP, and it went without a hitch on both.

(Trying to get Vista SP1 on my laptop, though different story.)

Adelphos
05-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Did you install from the full ISO? That's the second link in my post above. I've been reading the last couple of days of probems using the smaller update with HPs.

No, and I'm not presently in the mood to try. However, if you're telling me that other HP users had this problem and then resolved it by installing from the full ISO, I may give it another shot.

So then, is that what you're telling me?

Adelphos
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
I've been reading the last couple of days of probems using the smaller update with HPs.

David,

Can you post the link(s) where you have been reading this? I'd like to keep abreast of the HP issue.

David Kummerow
05-18-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/13/xp_sp3_microsoft_blames_oems/

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/12/windows_xp_sp3_reboots_amd/

Adelphos
05-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks, that explains it all. You'd think MS would have resolved this before releasing an official update since the solution is so doggone SIMPLE.

Actually, that's the problem... it's TOO simple for them.

The sad thing is, people who have auto-upate turned on, which MS defaults to, thereby making the user manually turn it off (which I leave it turned OFF), so those who may not be too computer-literate find themselves auto-updating and thereby auto-downloading and auto-installing SP3, and then suddenly find themselves unable to boot their computer.

The result: they have to pay somebody to resolve the issue.

Those articles are revealing... MS has admittedly known about this issue since 2004, but they arrogantly went ahead and released a non-functional edition anyway, knowing that it would cause hundreds of thousands of failed reboots.

MS has demonstrated once again that they care nothing for their custormers and that all their statements to the contrary are nothing but lip-service.

I hope this causes even more defections to MAC. And I may be one of them.

Mark Langley
05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Sorry for the troubles Scott. I updated my Toshiba laptop with SP3 and things went smoothly, if fact noticed some speed. So I updated my Dell desktop and it slowed the computer down to a crawl. I removed it and things seem to be back to normal.

Adelphos
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the troubles Scott. I updated my Toshiba laptop with SP3 and things went smoothly, if fact noticed some speed. So I updated my Dell desktop and it slowed the computer down to a crawl. I removed it and things seem to be back to normal.

My personal problem is solved, as I'm going to stay with SP2 until (and if) I up(down)grade to Vista, which won't happen until at least their next SP release.

For better or worse, however, I am the go-to guy in my neighborhood when others have computer problems. We're a pretty close-knit neighborhood (most of us have known each other for more than twenty years, many of us thirty years), and they have the dumb idea that I know alot about computers (which I really don't), but I make the rounds almost on a weekly basis to one household or another correcting this or that minor problem and they think I'm a genuis.

Fortunately, I have auto-update turned off on their computers, and I just go around and update them when there's something that really needs attention; otherwise I leave them alone. And I am definitely going to leave them alone on SP3.

But the bottom line is the fact that MS knew this was going to cause a whole multitude of problems, but they went ahead and released it anyway, even though it is a simple problem for them to resolve.

But hey, why not cause problems for other people when you can? That is clearly Microsoft's modus operandi.

I'll wager that SP3 and Microsoft's arrogance will end up generating hundreds of thousands of dollars for computer consultants because SP3 has caused boot failures for people who are not computer-literate.