PDA

View Full Version : Best Bible for the "Name"

Ephraim
04-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm a newby and have'nt received my software yet. I'm looking for a bible with the Name Yahweh being used instead of "the lord". I know there is a Rotherham bible at online bible.org but not sure if there is one with BW? :)

Jim Wert
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not at home, so this is from memory - not confirmed empirically.
The ASV uses Jehovah (circa 1900),
the New Jerusalem Bible uses Yahweh (late 20th century)
Several of the "Literal" ones use Jehovah or Adonai (mid to late 19th centruy)

All of the above are shipped with BW7 if my failing memory serves.

jfidel
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the CJB.. Complete Jewish Bible would work well for both NT and OT and the Tanakh for the OT.

John Fidel

SCSaunders
04-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey Ephraim,

I concur with John. Go with CJB. At least check it out, when the BW7 software arrives.

Now for my daily tangent. Your signature "Team YHWH" reminded me of this show I used to watch, "Chopper Build Off" (something along those lines). A Christian down in Tennessee builds amazing choppers, two of which made a lot of noise in the Chopper Community. YHWH (http://www.angelfire.com/wy/Franklin4YAHWEH/YHWHMotorCycle.html) and "Savior." The name of his company is Amen Motorcycles (http://www.amenmotorcycles.com). It'd be cool if "Team YHWH" thundered up to church on a couple of these. JMHO.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2dtq4d1.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2zg5hxl.jpg

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
What about the third commandment and naming choppers?

SCSaunders
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
What about the third commandment and naming choppers?I understand what "taking the name of the Lord in vain" is. Do you?

I also understand that Amen Choppers is reaching a "Hell's Angels" community with Jesus Christ.

Maybe we should all be like the Pharisees and the teachers of the law (Scribes), not "welcoming" tax collectors and sinners, who may "have ears to hear" and want to hear. Jesus, in my Bible, left the 99 who didn't think they needed repentance and went after the one. Threw a party afterwards. Went after a lost coin. Found it and threw as party. Was moved by compassion for a prodigal son and said, "... this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."

It's okay Dale. I understand that you are representing all the academentia types.

I can roll with that.

PS - would you please give me a list of things, general is fine, which one we can write Jesus' name on and one in which we can't write Jesus' name on. For purely academentia reasons, I'd be interested. I'd settle for just the criteria of what we can and can't write "YHWH" on. That'd be cool.

Thanks ahead of time for your answer. I know that you speak in the name of the Lord.

Ephraim
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Ya the third commandment is all messed up with the English. It pretty much says literally,...."You shall not cause the name Yahweh to come to nothingness". It says to USE THE NAME (Psalms 22:22/Joel 2:32)

See "The Sacred Name" at www.yahweh.org (http://www.yahweh.org)
under publications

amazing:D

SCSaunders
04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Paradox perplexes the pharisaic. :)

SCSaunders
04-18-2008, 06:46 AM
But then, to whom was I referring? :cool:;)I'm pretty sure that wasn't lost on you.:D

PS. Bob, with aphorisms, the referent gets lost at times. With my answer here, I'm explicitly saying, that you are not sanctimonious nor a pharisee if that's how my post came across. I'm adding this extra text to nuance my comments to an unequivocal meaning, nuance ad pedantum.

Jim Wert
05-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I think the CJB.. Complete Jewish Bible would work well for both NT and OT and the Tanakh for the OT.

I just got around to checking the CJB, and discovered that it uses ADONAI instead of Yahweh.
Which honors Judaic tradition, but does nothing to recognize the significance of naming god.

So if you really want Yahweh, your only choice is NJB (New Jerusalem Bible). (I prefer the original Jerusalem Bible, but haven't been able to find it online.)

--Jim

Joshua Luna
05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I am not sure if this is "ok" or not for a BW user... but wouldn't it be possible to export the ASV (or another older translations), do a find and replace (in the ASV's case for Jehovah), and recompile it back into BW as a custom Bible? You would minimally need to give credit as name it differently in BW (and who knows what else) but maybe that would be possible?

SCSaunders
05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I am not sure if this is "ok" or not for a BW user... but wouldn't it be possible to export the ASV (or another older translations), do a find and replace (in the ASV's case for Jehovah), and recompile it back into BW as a custom Bible? You would minimally need to give credit as name it differently in BW (and who knows what else) but maybe that would be possible?Very cool idea Joshua.

Yaku Lee
05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm a newby and have'nt received my software yet. I'm looking for a bible with the Name Yahweh being used instead of "the lord". I know there is a Rotherham bible at online bible.org but not sure if there is one with BW? :)
NJB uses “Yahweh.” Occasional users of “Yahweh” are: BBE (8 times), CSB (78), NAB (3), NLT (10). And TNK uses “YHWH” only once.
ASV, DBY, YLT use “Jehovah.” And occasional users of “Jehovah” are: KJV (7), ERV (15), JPS (1), RWB (8), and WEB (14).
CJB uses “ADONAI” and “ELOHIM” (in NT as well).
The abbreviations are from BibleWorks 7, and the numbers are taken from BW7 as of November 2007.

SCSaunders
05-12-2008, 01:31 PM
NJB uses “Yahweh.” Occasional users of “Yahweh” are: BBE (8 times), CSB (78), NAB (3), NLT (10). And TNK uses “YHWH” only once.
ASV, DBY, YLT use “Jehovah.” And occasional users of “Jehovah” are: KJV (7), ERV (15), JPS (1), RWB (8), and WEB (14).
CJB uses “ADONAI” (and “ELOHIM” in NT).
The abbreviations are from BibleWorks 7, and the numbers are taken from BW7 as of November 2007.Very informative and definitive work!