PDA

View Full Version : Program crash

LFS
03-24-2008, 08:07 AM
BibleWorks with all the most recent updates works fine only if I install everything.
I only want to use the KJV Bible so I would like to just install that version.
But as soon as a deinstall/modify or just only install KJV from a clean install the program gets very unstable. Usually it crashes at startup.

I use Win XP Pro 64-bit with all updates/patches installed.

Mark Cannon
03-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Dear LFS,

The error you report is due to the way the program was installed. BibleWorks requires a number of its databases (Bible versions and resources) to be in place when the program opens. Due to the fact that you have installed only the KJV Bible, BibleWorks cannot find the other versions that need to be accessed upon startup and this is producing the error you are experiencing.

The program has an option to install FULL or CUSTOM, and if CUSTOM is selected, a list box displays that contains a large number of checkboxes. Some of the checkboxes are already checked when this listbox displays. These items checked represent the minimal amount of files that can be installed for the program to work correctly. If any of the boxes are unchecked before proceeding to the next step, then those items will not be installed, and an error is more than likely going to occur sooner or later.

The FULL option will install everything that there is to be installed for the program, and will occupy about 5 1/2 Gigabytes of hard drive space. For some, this amount of hard drive space is simply not available. This is often the case on laptop computers, which have had relatively smaller hard drives in the past.

The CUSTOM option has been provided so one can install BibleWorks in a way that it will occupy less space on the hard drive. Certain files are integral to the operation of BibleWorks, and these are the files that show as being already checked when the listbox displays.

The recommendation, therefore, is to remove and reinstall BibleWorks on your computer. If you must use the CUSTOM option, make sure that you do not uncheck any of the boxes that are already checked when the list appears. You can ADD other items if you like, but do not remove any.

LFS
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for your fast and lengthy reply.
Yes I can understand that some modules/bibles are needed for BW to work.
To be honest my first message was wrong or at least not complete.
Just installing KJV is impossible because there are several grey selection boxes that can't be deselected.
But as I understand it now I need all the 'grey selections' plus the 'white selections' the program suggests. Plus one Bible in my own language.

It's not really the discspace I''m worried about, but it's the almost endless lists of bibles that are shown in the pulldown menu's.
That's all I want to get rid of.
I know I can change search and display versions.
All I'm really looking for is to make the pulldown menu right to the footsteps only show the search and/or display bibles.

Mark Cannon
03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the clarification. My original reply indicated instructions pertaining to CD Revision A01. Since you have several English Bibles that are greyed out and cannot be unchecked it sounds like you are using the Revision A02 CD/DVD in your installation of BibleWorks (this can be verified by looking at your the revision number on your CD/DVD under the Program Disc 1 title). Under Revision A02 the bare minimum of necessary resources for installation are grey and do not have the ability to be unchecked. You should be able to safely uncheck resources that you do not wish to install.

The install option Modify can be used to modify your installation in this manner. Running this option will permit you to add or remove databases. All you have to do is select the options that you want installed and deselect the ones that you want removed.

There is not a way to customize the main pull down menu list that is a part of the Browse Window outside of your installation choices using a custom installation. However, there is a Browse Window shortcut that will open a short versions menu in which you can add display versions by language to the Browse Window. Simply make sure that the Browse Window is active by clicking inside it and then type v on your keyboard. A list of available language categories will appear and you can choose from the installed versions in each category.

If you have further difficulties or questions on this matter please contact us at Customer Support (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html) and we will be happy to help.

LFS
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry for the very late reply....
I was using Win XP Pro 64 bit.
I switched back to Win XP Pro 32 bit and stability has improved a great deal. ;)