PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopic font and Biblical text for Bibleworks?

jarnett0001
03-20-2008, 01:57 AM
I was wondering if there is any possibility of an Ethiopic (Ge'ez) Biblical text and font in the future for Bibleworks, whether as an update for 7.0, or a possibility for 8.0? Has anyone heard anything about this possibility?

Andrew Fincke
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
apparently not

jdarlack
04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
2 things to keep in mind:

1. Is there a relatively "cheap" or public domain Ethiopic text of the NT/OT available?
2. Is there a public domain non-Unicode font that can be used for the Ethiopic text?

If you can find those, then a version can be created.

Glenn Weaver
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
The other problem will be the Windows codepage. BibleWorks uses the Windows codepage for that language for sorting the characters.

Without a Windows codepage (and I do not think that there is one for Ethiopic) it will be difficult to compile and use it in the Browse Window. This will not keep you from creating a custom module (in HTML Help format), but it may be difficult to compile it to appear in the Browse Window.

Christopher S Wiley
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Here are the code pages I found that Windows does support:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/WinCP.mspx

jarnett0001
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I started this thread, and I read some of the postings. Can someone with computer knowledge tell me if this could used for BibleWorks? The fonts are for Windows as it specifies on the web page. Here's the link I'm referring to:
(http://www.linguistsoftware.com/lam.htm)

Could I use this in BibleWorks? What does "Laser" mean in that context?

Any help would be appreciated. I plan on going to Gordon-Conwell for a Masters of Arts in Biblical Languages (Lord willing), but I have a huge financial obstacle to overcome because of previous student loans. I am teaching myself Greek and Hebrew in the meantime. I was wanting to take Ethiopic when I go as part of that degree, and if BibleWorks could support an Ethiopic text it would be very helpful.

jdarlack
04-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Can someone with computer knowledge tell me if this could used for BibleWorks? The fonts are for Windows as it specifies on the web page. Here's the link I'm referring to:
(http://www.linguistsoftware.com/lam.htm)

Could I use this in BibleWorks? It looks like you could use this in BibleWorks, but note Glen Weaver's caveats above. Basically, because there is no "code page" for Ethiopic, BibleWorks would have only limited functionality with such a text. The main problem with Linguist Software fonts is their expense. You could not share the font with anyone, so the work you put into the database would be for your eyes only.
What does "Laser" mean in that context?"Laser" is just the "brand name" that Linguist Software gives to its fonts. Nothing more, really.
Any help would be appreciated. I plan on going to Gordon-Conwell for a Masters of Arts in Biblical Languages (Lord willing), . . . I was wanting to take Ethiopic when I go as part of that degree, . . .It's great that you're coming to Gordon-Conwell. It's a good school and there are a lot of opportunities to study at other top schools in Boston (e.g., Harvard, Boston University, etc.) and in Jerusalem. Look me up if you're ever there. I work in the library as the reference librarian. Unfortunately, you may want to keep in mind that we do not have any professors who are familiar with Ethiopic, as far as I know, and it has been a long time since I've seen Ethiopic taught at Harvard.
. . . if BibleWorks could support an Ethiopic text it would be very helpful.I hear you! It would be great to get any ancient language text working in BibleWorks. The more the better! I have PDF's of several pseudepigraphal works in Ethiopic. They've been released to the public domain, and I'd like to get them into BibleWorks - it would be great even if the texts could be transliterated and in BW.

jarnett0001
04-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Hey Jim, thanks for the help. That's great you're at Gordon-Conwell. It is a dream of mine to go there and study the Biblical Languages. I will look you up if I'm able to attend. The only thing stopping me is a financial issue with my past student loans (I was going to be a pharmacist, but the Lord has shut several doors, so now I have to [and I want to] focus on Him and His plan for my life). Lord willing I would start there not this fall, but next fall or spring (2009).