View Full Version : Search Question
06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I would like to list all of the sentences in the Book of Job that end in a question mark. What I am looking for is all the questions that Job asked in the book so that I can use them in a sermon series.
06-09-2004, 05:13 PM
You can do this using the ASE. Read the help section entitled "How to search on punctuation."
06-09-2004, 08:23 PM
1) Go to the menu: Search > Set Search Limits
2) Choose the Limit the Search using a custom search range
3) In the box labeled range enter Job
4) Choose the OK button
1) Go to the menu: Search > Advanced Search Engine
2) Choose from the menu: File > Open
3) Open the file: PUNCTN.QF
4) Left mouse click on the box all words agree
5) Press the delete button, and click on the yes button
1) Choose from the Advanced Search Engine menu: Queries > properties
2) Choose the flag tab
3) Check the box so that cross verse boundries is checked
4) Click on the OK button
1) Double left mouse click on box labeled exactly 0
2) Choose required at the bottom
3) Check the box custom punctuation
4) Put a ? the box and nothing else
5) Choose the ok button
6) Choose the Go button
Note: If you see the first word highlighted, it is because the previous verse ended with a ?
06-11-2004, 05:48 AM
I suggest you use the attached ASE query. It has the advantage of highlighting only the word immediately preceding the questions mark, as well as showing instances of one or two questions within the same verse.
Hope this helps.
06-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Actually, I now realize I built a more complex ASE search than what was really required, due to the fact that I wasn't turning on the "Cross vs." option in the first example. If you get rid of one of the subqueries in my original query you will be fine.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.