PDA

View Full Version : Splash screen stays on and occupies processor

Greg Ward
02-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I have noticed this problem on my system for a while. The solution, which I haven't taken the time to do, is probably uninstall and re-install. But just in case it is a common problem, I post this for narrowing down the cause.

Win XP home SP2, BW7, some Norton stuff, 1 Gb ram, plenty of hard drive space.

First time I run BW7 from Start Menu after turning on, BW splash screen stays on even after BW comes up behind it. Processor is 100% loaded. When I can get BW to close by using the window close button (top right) or the File/Exit menu, I can restart BW a couple seconds later and it comes up just fine--splash screen splashes and then disappears. Also, I've found if I can use the BW program and redraw that particular area of the screen, then once the whole splash screen has been drawn over, the processor usage immediately drops from 100% usage to idle levels and program is fine.

Any one else run into this? Or have a simple solution?

roel schipper
03-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Same happens to me.

Roel S.

Dunk
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi,
This happened to me until I disabled the splash screen, now I have no problems.

Peace
D

Alan Johnson
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Go to Tools/Options. Under "Option Flags" you'll see "Startup Options." Uncheck "Show splash screen at startup." That should take care of it.

Alan

terogs
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks! This has been a problem for a long time. I thought it was unique to my system. It's great to have such an easy solution.

Tom

Greg Ward
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I've turned off my splash screen, but still only about half the time do I get a clean, fast startup. Other times, the browse window is white and the analysis window is white. If I keep clicking on things that are hidden under the white, when the last thing (scroll bar, analysis header, etc.) displays then the processor usage drops to nil. I have seen a time or two where the correct screen displays for a second and then a redraw takes place and leaves the white areas and my processor goes to maximum usage.

Anyone else had this problem?
(Just looking for possibilities or similarities before contacting support.)

MortenJensen
05-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Yes, I have the exact same problem! I guess one in every three launces of BW, I encounter this problem.

The third pane, the toggle window, will not refresh. It is locked - and the cpu runs heavily.
When I check the task bar, BW occupies some 50 percent of the processor.

What to do???

Also win xp sp 2.

Morten

Adelphos
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes, I have the exact same problem!

How much RAM do you guys have?

EDIT:

I see where Greg has 1GB RAM. While I can't say definitively that this is the issue, I know that on any computer I have that has less than 2GB RAM there are screen redraw and other problems that pop up continuously with various programs, just like this appears to do with BW and your situation.

MortenJensen
05-08-2008, 04:16 AM
intel duo 2 ghz and 2 gig ram. Should be enough.
morten

Adelphos
05-08-2008, 01:00 PM
intel duo 2 ghz and 2 gig ram. Should be enough.

Yep. Rules out the RAM theory.