PDA

View Full Version : Jesus quoting Deuteronomy

Peter Muir
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Is there anyone who can tell me how to build a query to list the number of times Jesus refers to texts from Deuteronomy and build some sort of cross reference list? Or is this somehting that can't be done using BW7?

Adelphos
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Is there anyone who can tell me how to build a query to list the number of times Jesus refers to texts from Deuteronomy and build some sort of cross reference list? Or is this somehting that can't be done using BW7?

There is no query that can do this, but I developed a module for the Synopsis Tool some years ago that BW now includes in its package called matthewotquotes.sdf, or something like that, which you can quickly navigate through to see where Deuteronomy is quoted in the book of Matthew. For the other books, you would have to go throug each gospel and make your own demarcations.

Glenn Weaver
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Peter,

The BW7 Synopsis Tool comes with two files that should be of help to you. On the main BW menu select Tools | Synopsis Window. In the Synopsis Window select File | Open.

Choose and open the file otnt.sdf. This file contains OT in the NT quotations (mostly) arranged according to the order in which they appear in the OT. In the upper part of the Synopsis Window scroll down until you find the Deuteronomony passages. Click on the passage you wish to display.

Second file is ntot.sdf. This file has the same content, but it is arranged according to NT order. This way you could scroll through Matthew, Mark, Luke, etc. and see the quoted passages in the order in which they appear in the NT text.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Glenn

Adelphos
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Peter,

The BW7 Synopsis Tool comes with two files that should be of help to you.

Didn't know about those. That will save me some trouble, as I was going to get around to doing all four gospels one day. Glad you pointed that out.

Now, I know this has been requested before, but I'd like to ask again that you pass it along, i.e., when opening the Synopsis Tool, the window containing the quotations is always the same size, i.e., VERY SMALL. I have to resize it every time I open it. Can it not be made to save the settings so that not only the window itself, but also the dimensions withing the Synopsis Tool, are also saved?

Peter Muir
02-22-2008, 05:01 AM
Many thanks for such prompt help. About to go and "play"; apart from anything else it has helped me see just how many goodies are tucked away <gr>

One immediate query is how using either Archer and Chirichigno or otnt.sdf you can print out just the selected bits you want. I tried to copy just the Deuteronomy bits (nos 77 - 115) but even though I had highlighted the line, the right click and print (either option) generated 209 pages containing all 312 of the Archer and Chirichigno quotations.