PDA

View Full Version : Lemma searches with Hebrew

revzach
02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm sure this is covered in a tutorial or in another thread, but after 45 minutes of searching in vain, I'm giving up and asking the question:

I just got the software and am LOVING playing with it, but this is a big bump for me.
I'm trying to do a search for all occurrences of all forms of the Hebrew word YaSHaR. Now, I know that I can just do a regular search for ".yshr" (I'm not quite sure how to paste the actual text here as unicode--need some help on that too...) So anyway, I type .yvr (and it shows up as hebrew), but then if I try to arrow over to the right side and add the @*, it shows up in Hebrew as well! The @ is a pe for some reason! It will let me just put the * wildcard at the end no problem, but that isn't quite the same search, is it?

A little help would be much appreciated... :confused:

Thanks!

jfidel
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Zachary,

Welcome.

If you are in the Hebrew text and right mouse click you will have an option to search on lemma. This is the easiest and best way to get to the lemma.

Otherwise you will need to make sure you are searching in a Morphologically tagged text, which in this case would be the WTM with a . before the word. The @ it to allow you to enter morphological tags with the lemma.

Hopefully this gets you started. If I was unclear let me know.

John Fidel

revzach
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Zachary,

Welcome.

If you are in the Hebrew text and right mouse click you will have an option to search on lemma. This is the easiest and best way to get to the lemma.

Otherwise you will need to make sure you are searching in a Morphologically tagged text, which in this case would be the WTM with a . before the word. The @ it to allow you to enter morphological tags with the lemma.

Hopefully this gets you started. If I was unclear let me know.

John Fidel

OOPS! That was the problem. I was in the regular WTT, which is why it thought the @ was part of the Hebrew word.

THANKS! I shall try to refrain from posting such obvious questions in the future and thanks for humoring me. :o

jfidel
02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Zachary,

It was a good question. Please do not refrain from comments here.
I am glad I was able to help.

John Fidel