PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a punctuation mark

billcapel
06-07-2004, 01:29 PM
How can I do a command line (or other) search for a question mark. I assume there is a delimiter to make it a literal thingie instead of a "wildcard for any single character."

thanks

John Fallahee
06-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Punctuation Searches

First,

1) Go to the menu: Search > Set Search Limits
2) Choose the Limit the Search using a custom search range
3) In the box labeled range enter Job
4) Choose the OK button

Second,

1) Go to the menu: Search > Advanced Search Engine
2) Choose from the menu: File > Open
3) Open the file: PUNCTN.QF
4) Left mouse click on the box all words agree
5) Press the delete button, and click on the yes button

Third,
1) Choose from the Advanced Search Engine menu: Queries > properties
2) Choose the flag tab
3) Check the box so that cross verse boundries is checked
4) Click on the OK button

Fourth,
1) Double left mouse click on box labeled exactly 0
2) Choose required at the bottom
3) Check the box custom punctuation
4) Put a ? the box and nothing else
5) Choose the ok button
6) Choose the Go button

Note: If you see the first word highlighted, it is because the previous verse ended with a ?

Joe Fleener
06-10-2004, 07:11 PM
A member for two days with two posts both helping with Puctuation searches.

Fantastic, thanks for the great contributions!!! :)

arggem
06-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Great post!

Now, how do we save this for future reference? One thing to do is save it in favorites, but is there a way to tag posts within the forum itself?

Gary

Ruben Gomez
06-11-2004, 05:59 AM
If you look at my last post on the Search Question thread, you'll find an attached ASE query that you can download and run (in case you're interested, that is!)

Hope this helps.

Ruben Gomez

Mark Langley
06-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Hi

I am attaching a file (ASE) for finding all questions. Double click on the "Cross vs." option once the ASE is up.

Hope this is helpful.

Ruben Gomez
06-11-2004, 03:47 PM
That's right. I built a more complex ASE search because I wasn't turning on the "Cross vs." option in the original example. Thanks for pointing it out. If you get rid of one of the subqueries in my original query you will be fine (and I like the highlighting better) ;)

Best,

Ruben Gomez

Samuel Arnet
07-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I would like to do a similar search but across two versions (WTM and, say, NIV). How can I find any verse which has

(1) a question mark in an English translation
and
(2) the Hebrew article (WTM: H@Pa*)?

Any qf-help would be really appreciated.

Samuel

Joe Fleener
07-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Attached is an ASE query.

This query finds everywhere there is a '?' in the NIV and an interrogative particle in the WTM.

In other words it looks for a '?' in the NIV and a Particle Interrogative in the WTM (h*Pg) rather than Pa.

If you prefer Pa over Pg just open the WTM word box and change the codes, then rerun the query. It would probably be a good idea to run it both ways or with the codes *P{ga} to grab all of them.

Hope this helps.

Howard Flynn
04-27-2007, 01:48 AM
I ran the search command for the NLT, but when I got the list, for some reason, the search omitted Gen 3:9. I ran it several times and got the same result. Why is Gen 3:9 not included since it too is a question?

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-27-2007, 06:46 AM
I ran the search command for the NLT, but when I got the list, for some reason, the search omitted Gen 3:9. I ran it several times and got the same result. Why is Gen 3:9 not included since it too is a question?

Because in the Hebrew, the question isn't indicated by the interrogative particle h but by the interrogative particle yae, so perhaps the search should have a wildcard for any interrogative particle?

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Actually, you need to search for interrogative pronouns [.*@pq* and .*%pq*] and interrogative particles [.*@Pg* and .*%Pg*]. The '@' is for Hebrew, and the '%' is for Aramaic.

Howard Flynn
04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I ran the ase again, this time for the NIV and the answer if flat out wrong. It does ot include Gen. 3:9 Why is this? If it is wrong here, how do you know that it isn't wrong in other areas?

Howard Flynn
04-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I want to do this strictly with English ? and no other languages. Is this possible?

Michael Hanel
04-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I want to do this strictly with English ? and no other languages. Is this possible?

I'm not sure exactly which query you are running so try this one, it picks up questions including the one in Gen 3:9 in NIV

Howard Flynn
04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you, but on the status line, it doesn't not list the number of hits, onlly the number of verses.

Michael Hanel
04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Thank you, but on the status line, it doesn't not list the number of hits, onlly the number of verses.

After you've run the search go to the top menu "Search" and then open "Detailed Statistics Window" That will give 3197 total hits.