PDA

View Full Version : Greek Chars not showing up in command line



richardsugg
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I've done something to my configuration (either BW or Windows), and I don't know what it is. When I am in an English version, everything works fine in the command line. When I switch to a Greek version, like the BGT, then the letters are completely different.

Example 1:
If I type "s", then i would expect an english "s" to appear. Instead, I see an "o" with an acute symbol over it. If I copy and paste that character, it appears as a final sigma: σ.

Example 2:
If I type ".", then I would expect to see a "." and be able to type greek chars to search for something in greek. Instead, after the ".", there are strange characters (a raised circle, strange apostrophe, an "f" with a closed loop). These characters copied and pasted, however, show correctly show "κεφαλε".

Example 3:
If I type ', then I would expect to see a ' and be able to type greek chars to search for something in greek. Instead, the ' does not appear, but subsequent characters are a double quote, "e" with caret, "a" with circle, "o" with umlaut, "a" with acute, "e" with umlaut, "a" with circle. These characters copied and pasted correctly show "κεφαλε".

Can someone help? Thanks!

Mark Eddy
01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
What other versions are active in your browse window?
Do you have one of the Eastern European languages in use, or have you used it recently?
Did you accidently change the setting for the Greek font for the search window?
Are you using a primary or secondary browse window?
Have you changed your windows keyboard?
I have had the problem of a secondary browse window not keeping the search version I set for it but reverting to search version I used second after opening the secondary window. So I have seen Greek characters on the command line, when I thought I had changed to an Eastern European version (Czech, Croatian, or Slovak). But when I looked back at the secondary browse window, the search version had reverted to BGT. Perhaps the opposite is happening for you. Eastern European languages use a different keyboard from Greek or English.
These are just shots in the dark, but maybe they can help you rule out something.
Mark Eddy

richardsugg
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
What other versions are active in your browse window?
* None, just BGT

Do you have one of the Eastern European languages in use, or have you used it recently?
* None ever. Just Greek and English

Did you accidently change the setting for the Greek font for the search window?
* I checked, and it's still Bwgrkl

Are you using a primary or secondary browse window?
* primary

Have you changed your windows keyboard?
* Not sure what you mean. When I go to Control Panel | Regional and Language Options, then click on the Languages Tab, then click details, I have the following:

EN English (United States)
-- Keyboard
* US

EL Greek
-- Keyboard
* Greek (220)
* Greek Polytonic

I have tried removing the "EL Greek" entry to no avail.

Thanks for your help in this. I'm really at a loss, and this is very frustrating.

Christopher S Wiley
01-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Is Bibleworks the only place this problem is happening?
How about the editor? does anything strange happen there?

Glenn Weaver
01-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Richard,

I suggest contacting tech support. They should be able to help identify the problem and making the necessary corrections. The phone number is +1 (757) 627-7100.

Glenn

Glenn Weaver
01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Richard,

You may want to try deleting the context files. Do this by holding down the shift key, then restarting BibleWorks. In the window that opens check the box that says Delete Context Files. This will clear all the tab information, search version, browse versions, etc., and return them to their default settings. This may solve the problem.

Glenn

richardsugg
01-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions -- I finally figured it out. I noticed the font in the editor was Calibri (I like that better than Arial). When I changed the default font to @Arial Unicode MS, and all was well.