PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Philo Updates

J Kendall
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. If this is a wider issue and you normally work only on one PC, you're unlikely to have noticed it before.

Over the past couple of months I've found that while the Philo updates have been working normally on my laptop installation of BW7 (XP Pro SP2), they have not been appearing in the updater of my desktop installation (XP Home SP2). The last one that did so was version 7.018a dated 11/15/07.

All the other updates have been working fine, but even if I download and run the latest Philo patch from the BW website (version 7.018a 01/07/08), it does not function.

So far BW Support have been unable to help me with this. I have tried a full reinstallation of BW, but to no avail.

If any of you would be willing to check whether you have the same problem I'd appreciate it. You can do this by opening the BW Updater and clicking Options > Show Downloaded Patches and checking the date of your most recent Works of Philo update.

If there are others who have this problem, we may be able to gather enough information for a fix.

With thanks for any help you can offer.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

MGVH
01-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi, John,
I'm running XP Pro SP2, and I have not been having any problems with Philo.
I'm on version 7.0.019c.7 of BW7 which I think is the latest.

The latest "Works of Philo" update I have is 7.013f.

J Kendall
01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks Mark.

I have not been having any problems with Philo. To the contrary, unless you've not scrolled far enough down the list of applied patches, it appears that you also have the problem!

The latest "Works of Philo" update I have is 7.013f.As I mentioned, the current update is 7.018a dated 01/07/08. You might try downloading it directly from:
http://www.bibleworks.com/downloads/v7/rev1/rev1_philo_7018a.pbn

This won't install for me. How about you?

If any others have this problem, I'd appreciate your replies. It would help to clarify for BW support that there's a genuine issue here.

MGVH
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi again, John.
I went through my downloaded patches list very carefully, and the only Philo entry is the 7.013f one I mentioned. (I do have the "preview" access code enabled, so I should be seeing everything...)
I looked at the PH* files in the database directory, and the latest one I have is 8/2/2006.
I could download the file at the link you provided, but I'm not sure what to do with a PBN file.
Did the BW7 folks pull the Philo update by chance?

J Kendall
01-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the information. There's been no pulling of the Philo updates. They've been arriving on my laptop pretty regularly for some months now, maybe coming every week or two and all labelled as version 7.018a but with different date stamps.

Instructions for installing PBN files are found here:
http://www.bibleworks.com/DLSP_R_v7_rev1.htm

Basically, all you need to do is double click the downloaded file. If you have the same problem as me, it won't do any harm. You'll just get blank updates window and a message saying that there are no new updates. When you click this another message appears telling you to press the 'Apply Selected Updates' button. When you do this, a third message tells you that 'You must first select something to patch'. This is of course not possible with a blank updater window! Thankfully, if you close the updater window, it will operate normally next time with everything apart from the Philo patch. The database files that you already have will remain intact.

Sorry for being long and tedious. I'm somewhat relieved to find that I haven't been bothering BW support over an issue that's unique to one of my PC's.

John

Glenn Weaver
01-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi John,

Philo is process of an on-going update, so the updates use a little different procedure than a normal database update.

For most users, once the Philo process is complete, Mike will post a new Philo file with all the changes. But for those who want the updates as they are produced, Mike offered an option to obtain the periodic updates.

To obtain the more frequent updates, on the main BibleWorks menu select Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for Updates. On the updater menu select Options | Enter Access code(s). On the codes line enter the word philo. The patches window will now show the periodic updates for Philo. Select the patches to download, then click Apply Selected Updates.

Blessings,
Glenn

J Kendall
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks so much Glen. I'd forgotten about the access code. I had it enabled on my laptop but not on my desktop.

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales