PDA

View Full Version : Searching for final kaph

Bob Stallman
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Since my BW searching skills are a bit rusty, I'd like help in searching for these two unusual forms in the Hebrew Bible:

1. A final kaph with a dagesh and a shewa
2. A final kaph with a dagesh and a qametz (as in Numbers 6:25)

Mark Eddy
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Have WTM as your search version.
On the command line type: *@*+S2fs* for #1 and *@*+S2ms* for #2.
This should find most of them. But then you would visually have to go through them all to look for the dagesh, which isn't what you want to do.
I tried searching in WTT with the Hebrew vowel point sensitive searching option checked, but then the command line thinks that the wildcard * is a vowel point, so the search doesn't work.
Mark Eddy

Bob Stallman
01-08-2008, 02:21 AM
I agree, doing a morphological search isn't what I want to do.
Too bad that a search on WTT doesn't work either.
Thanks for answering, though

Glenn Weaver
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I think the attached searches will find what you want. In each case search on WTT with vowel point searching turned on.

In each search type the period, the final kaf, the vowel points, then press the Insert key on your keyboard. A flashing red square appears in the upper right corner of the Command Line. This allows you to type an asterisk instead of a vowel point.

Press the Insert key to return to normal typing mode.

The two attached files are Command Line searches. Download the files, then remove the .txt extension. (I had to add the extension because the forum does not allow .bwc files.) Place your cursor on the Command Line, then right-click to open the Command Line context menu. Select Load Command Line, then browse to where you saved the bwc files. Open the bwc file, then run the search.

Hope this helps.

Glenn