PDA

View Full Version : Exporting search data suggestions

David Kummerow
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I just sent off the following two suggestions to the BW staff. I post them here as, like always, someone may know a tricky BW manoeuvre which accomplishes that of my suggestions.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

---

A couple of ideas for exporting search results:

1) It would be good if an additional option could be added to the 'verse list formatting options' of the 'copy center format options', something like 'repeat multiple verse hits'. That is, instead of exporting as

Gen. 2:14 *2

it would export as

Gen. 2:14
Gen. 2:14

2) In the 'what to copy' options of the 'copy center' it would be good to add an option like 'copy only hit text'. That is, not the entire verse text is exported, just the word(s) which were hit by a particular search.

Thanks for your consideration.

Glenn Weaver
12-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi David,

I'm not sure what to say about the first item, but here is an option for the second.

After running your search, open the Word List Manager (WLM), click the Load or Generator Word List button, then select the radio button to Load highlighted words from last query. This will provide a list of all the highlighted words found in the query.

You can also do make some creative lists if you search in a morph version and create the list in the brother text version, or search in a text version and display the hits in the companion morph version. Checking an unchecking the morphology can yield useful information, too.

You can also save these hits as an IEL file for use in the GSE.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

David Kummerow
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply!

As I currently understand it, importing a search into the Word List Manager removes the reference from its hit text. I explained a little more what I want to achieve in a reply email just sent to a BW staff member suggesting the same:

What I would like to be able to do is export the reference and hit text. Say I've conducted a search on all independent personal pronouns and demonstratives in the OT. I would like to be able to export the results into a file like:

Gen. 2:4 אֵלֶּה
Gen. 2:11 הוּא
Gen. 2:12 הַהִוא
Gen. 2:13 הוּא
Gen. 2:14 הוּא
Gen. 2:14 הוּא
etc...

So each hit would be represented with its reference as can be seen by the last two hits. This saves time when loading such data into other software for database creation for whatever it is being worked on (here independent personal pronouns and demonstrative, the subject of my phd dissertation).

Glenn Weaver
12-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi David,

I think the KWIC/Collocation Table module will do what you want.

Open the KWIC tool, set the search version to WTM, enter your search range, enter the same search codes for the independent personal pronoun, then set the left and right settings to 0.

Conduct the search, then within the upper window (the KWIC window) use the context menu to Copy Entire KWIC List to Clipboard (formatted). This will give you only your search term, plus it will give you all references (even duplicate ones) in the order in which they occur.

You may need to tweak the left and right settings a little bit if you are searching on suffixes or prefixes, since they count as words.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

David Kummerow
12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Glenn, that sounds good. I'm taking the family to the park now and will try this later today.

Thanks!
David kummerow.

David Kummerow
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks again for pointing me in the direction you did as this has been able to generate the information I desired.

I think my suggestions might still be worth considering as they add a couple of useful extra options to the 'Copy Center'.

A suggestion for the KWIC/Collocation Table module: perhaps it would be good to be able to import saved GSE queries? I know this would have aided me in quickly conducting the search I was after.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Regards,
David Kummerow.