PDA

View Full Version : Need helpful editor for Baibala Hemolele (Hawaiian Version)

papabear22
12-11-2007, 04:35 AM
I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation. I have already completed the New Testament and the books of Moses. But the OT poetic books are getting very labor intensive because of all the poetical sections. Each poetic verse has a space and then a carriage return (or some kind of line break) at the end and the next line begins with several spaces. I need a easy way to select the space, break, and several spaces and replace them with a single space so that I end up with the whole verse on one line. I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work. An example of the problem text can be found at http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=d-0bible--00-1-0--00-4--Sec---1--1en-Zz-1---20-frameset-search----011-0100--escapewin&a=p&p=frameset&d=NULL.2.2.2.5&toc=0&vv=

Anybody know of a text editor that can do it? Or some other trick?

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
Keaau, Hawaii

Michael Hanel
12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation. I have already completed the New Testament and the books of Moses. But the OT poetic books are getting very labor intensive because of all the poetical sections. Each poetic verse has a space and then a carriage return (or some kind of line break) at the end and the next line begins with several spaces. I need a easy way to select the space, break, and several spaces and replace them with a single space so that I end up with the whole verse on one line. I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work. An example of the problem text can be found at http://baibala.org/cgi-bin/bible?e=d-0bible--00-1-0--00-4--Sec---1--1en-Zz-1---20-frameset-search----011-0100--escapewin&a=p&p=frameset&d=NULL.2.2.2.5&toc=0&vv=

Anybody know of a text editor that can do it? Or some other trick?

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
Keaau, Hawaii

Each text editor functions a little differently, but in Word for example you can search and replace "^p" (no quotes) with " " (a space key) and it will do what you said, you would then have to re-add carriage returns for verse numbers, remove tabs (^t) etc. But it might get you what you want.

papabear22
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I thought I had tried that in Word, but I did what you said and it worked. I guess I was doing something wrong. Perhaps I was just trying to stay up to late working on it. Thanks again!

Aloha,

Les Pedersen

SCSaunders
12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I am preparing the Baibala Hemolele, or the Hawaiian Bible, for compilation.

Aloha,

Les Pedersen
Keaau, HawaiiThis is awesome. Hawaiian is a very beautiful language, very melodic - at least when I heard is spoken.

An adult who had a huge influence on my younger life was Hawaiian. I still check up on him, through the web. I pray for him often. You're doing a great work. I hope he reads it (or in answer to prayer, has been reading it.)

http://www.olohe.com/
http://i5.tinypic.com/6oyv71c.png

Willem Swanepoel
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi,
UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com (http://www.ultraedit.com)) is a very powerful editor, but unfortunately comes at a price (i.e. not Freeware).

Regards,
Willem

SCSaunders
12-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi,
UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com (http://www.ultraedit.com)) is a very powerful editor, but unfortunately comes at a price (i.e. not Freeware).

Regards,
Willem

Les,

Just say the word and I'll buy it for you. I'll purchase it then send it to your email address, promising not to keep a copy back for myself. No violations committed.

Let me know.

Glenn Weaver
12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I have been using Notepad++, a very powerful freeware text editor. It has lots of great features. It will probably do all you need, plus a whole lot more. Here is the link to the site:

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Glenn

jdarlack
12-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I use TextPad.

www.textpad.com

It only handles ASCII characters, but it handles regular expression search and replace functions. I've done a lot of my own home-grown BibleWorks texts using TextPad.

It has a free trial version, but I liked it so much, I went ahead and bought a copy.

Adelphos
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM
...I've tried using the replace function on several editors but for some reason it doesn't work....

You might also take a look at Note Tab Pro --

http://www.notetab.com/

This is the editor that was used to construct Tischendorf's apparatus that comes with BibleWorks.

It handles not only all kinds of text files, but html and other stuff as well, plus it's programmable, and has a slew of programming scripts that already comes with it.

I've been using it for six or seven years after trying all kinds of editors previous to that, and since I've been using Note Tab Pro I've never looked for another editor again.

Willem Swanepoel
12-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I have found an editor which is very close to UltraEdit (which is the one I use for all my editing). It is called Crimson Editor, freeware and can be downloaded from:

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Regards,
Willem

Adelphos
12-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I have found an editor which is very close to UltraEdit (which is the one I use for all my editing). It is called Crimson Editor, freeware...

Without starting a new thread, I was just wondering if any of you do any programming in C/C++, and if so, what compiler would you recommend these days?

I use to program C/C++ back in the early nineties, using Borland's C++, but haven't touched a line of code in about fifteen years. I understand BW was coded with MS's compiler. Is that still the case?

My main interest for this, by the way, is that it seems some useful programs could be created that could work with the external links in BW, such as various databases of information, like archaeology and whatnot.

Comments welcome.

Willem Swanepoel
12-15-2007, 04:55 AM
Hi,
I have just downloaded UltraEdit 13.20a. It supports Java Scripts.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Willem Swanepoel
12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Without starting a new thread, I was just wondering if any of you do any programming in C/C++, and if so, what compiler would you recommend these days? .....

Hi Scott,
Like you I haven't programmed in C++ for quite some time (12 years to be exact. I then used MS Visual C++).

Borland C++, of course is free, whilst MS Visuall C++ cost a pretty penny. I believe Borland also has a free version known as Turbo C++.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Adelphos
12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Scott,
Like you I haven't programmed in C++ for quite some time (12 years to be exact. I then used MS Visual C++).

Borland C++, of course is free, whilst MS Visuall C++ cost a pretty penny. I believe Borland also has a free version known as Turbo C++.

I downloaded MS Visual C++ Express, which is also free, and though I haven't really delved into it yet, it looks like the learning curve just to use it is pretty steep, so I'm going to try Borland's Turbo C++ first and see if it's at all like it used to be, i.e., something I'm familiar with. Of course, I don't want to get bogged down too much with either, but there are a few times I'd like to have certain things on certain programs work exactly my way, and it appears the only way to bring that about is to write those programs myself.

papabear22
12-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Aloha to all,

Mahalo Nui (thank-you very much) to everyone who provided such useful help. I ended up using textpad and it did what I needed it to do. I'm going to look into the other editors as well because it seems this will be only my first BibleWorks compiled version of Baibala Hemolele.

After i completed the work I contacted the Baibala Hemolele Project, the online publisher of the work where I secured the text that I used for the compilation. They were very excited about what I had done and asked me if I would make initial contact with BibleWorks to see if it can be included in the program. In the mean time they gave me provisional permission to distribute it to others on a one to one basis. I can't post it here yet, but if anyone would find it particularly useful for their ministry or personal life you may email me and if your request falls within the guidelines they gave me I'll send it to you. In the mean time I'll be contacting BibleWorks to get the ball rolling.

The Baibala Hemolele Project is producing a modern version of the Baibala that employs the diacritical marks used in modern Hawaiian. That probably won't be published until early 2009, but when it is I will compile that version as well. That will be a more difficult project because the absence of diacritical marks and minimal punctuation in the current version made it relatively simple (though very tedious and time consuming) to compile the currently available version. The new version will require the best text editor I can find so all the information you all provided will be seriously considered before I start the next one.

Also for those of you who do this kind of work, and it seems like there are many, I found MS Excel very powerful in this project. I imported the text file and wrote some simple Visual Basic macros to do some of the very repetitive "heavy lifting" editing and it saved countless hours. It left a few stray characters in the text, but those were easy to remove with TextPad.

Aloha,

Les

Adelphos
12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I downloaded MS Visual C++ Express, which is also free, and though I haven't really delved into it yet, it looks like the learning curve just to use it is pretty steep...

Update for those who are interested...

I compiled and ran my first Windows program in 15 years with MS Visual C++ Express ("Hello World" used to be so simple), which as I mentioned, is free. It can be found here --

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

The learning curve is really not too steep after all (assuming you have previous experience in Windows/C/C++ programming, otherwise, best of luck), so for those who are so minded, this is an opportunity to create what I hope will be useful programs that can be accessed from BW's External Links manager.

I know the CHM files are very nice and useful, but they are unwieldly from a data manipulation standpoint, so there's a niche that can be fulfilled here.

I have a few ideas in mind, and as I get time I'll try to develop a module or two and see if it's a viable enterprise. However, as I also said, I don't intend to get too bogged down with programming again (as it is very time-consuming, as I'm sure the BW programmers can testify), but perhaps some simple modules might be worthwhile.

Glenn Weaver
12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Les,

Please contact me about your contact with the Baibala Hemolele Project publishers, and we will see what can be done about adding the version to all copies of BibleWorks.

My email is gweaver@bibleworks.com

Blessings,
Glenn