PDA

View Full Version : Pseudepigrapha & Other Books

dbielby
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Pseudepigrapha and other books like it into a database that can be lemmatized and searched at the same time I am searching the BGT LXX & GNT?

Adelphos
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Pseudepigrapha and other books like it into a database that can be lemmatized and searched at the same time I am searching the BGT LXX & GNT?

Yes, there is a way.

First (naturally) you have to decide which texts to include. If the Pseudepigrapha you have in mind is already lemmatized, then a large part of your work is done. If not, you'll have to do it yourself.

Next, you would export the BW texts you want to include, i.e., BGT, LXX, GNT, and/or what-have-you.

Third, you would combine all of these exported texts with the Pseudepigrapha texts you have chosen in the order you want them into a user compatible text file that can be built with the Database Compiler in BW.

Finally, you would compile this conglomerate text, naming it whatever you want to name it, and of course assigning all the proper qualities from within the Database Compiler.

This will give you a conglomerate text that you can search till your heart's content.

Michael Hanel
12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

There is of course a way. Like Adelphos said, you can "easily" make texts and do what you need to by finding a text and lemmatizing it yourself, but that takes a while. I had hoped to put together Pseudeipg. texts to be freely available, but after looking at what was on the Online Critical Pseud. website (http://ocp.acadiau.ca/) I was not entirely sure whether some of those texts would be free for redistribution. I can't confirm this, but I thought there were rumors that BW will be adding Pseudepig. lemmatized to the program eventually, so unless you really have an urgent need, it seems like waiting is one of the better options.

jdarlack
12-07-2007, 07:32 AM
You did not hear this from me, but if you're really in a hurry, you can purchase the lemmatized Greek Old Testament Pseudepigrapha from Accordance (http://www.accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=226) and run it on an emulator. We have a copy at Gordon-Conwell and it works fine.

Mark Eddy
12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
You do not have to make "a conglomerate text that you can search till your heart's content" as Adelphos put it. If you make a separate database for Pseudepigrapha in Greek (as Michael suggested) you can always search it at the same time that you search BGT (and Josephus, Philo, and the Apostolic Fathers) by doing a cross-version search. Select the "Choose search version" option "Search and display all same language versions" or "Search and prune all same language versions" and you will get results of all the versions you have installed on your computer in the given search language, segregated by version, rather than all mixed together. Right now you can search the Pseudepigrapha in English together with your English Bibles in the same way, if you wish.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
12-07-2007, 07:46 PM
You do not have to make "a conglomerate text that you can search till your heart's content" as Adelphos put it. If you make a separate database for Pseudepigrapha in Greek (as Michael suggested) you can always search it at the same time that you search BGT...

Of course, a cross version search is certainly an option, but since he stated --

"Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Pseudepigrapha AND other books like it into a database..."

-- I took that to mean that he wanted the Pseudepigrapha AND other non-canonical or possibly even non-biblical books into a single database, which is why I suggested he build a conglomerate text.

In fact, if I remember correctly, someone wanted to do something similar with 1 Clement and a few other books a while back, and this is what we came up with on the forum. No harm done, I trust.

Either way, the trick is getting a lemmatized Pseudepigrapha into BW.