PDA

View Full Version : searching for words at the end of verses

Michael Hanel
11-27-2007, 09:20 PM
This doesn't relate to the biblical text, but it does relate to searching databases in Bibleworks. I'm trying to do the following search in the Homeric Greek databases:

I want all verses ending with the string omicron-iota-omicron (-oio)

The closest I could come was this search:
(.*oio) !(;*oio *)
this looks for all occurences of -oio, but not those that have a word after, which would by definition be those at the end of the line, right?

Well problem is it eliminated lines that ended with two -oio words, thus eliminating part of my search that had verses ending in -oio.

Does anyone know of a better way to construct my search?

Glenn Weaver
11-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure there is a satisfactory way to do that search on the Command Line. But it is really easy to do it in the GSE.

Attached is a screen shot of the GSE Word Box options (last word search in GSE.png). The word is *oio, and the Position box is checked as position 1 from the end of the verse. This yields hits for all the *oio words at the end of the verse.

Also attached is a screen shot of the GSE Ordering and Proximity Options box. In setting up the GSE search the way it is in this screen shot, the *oio word must have an intervening punctuation mark, followed by another word. Also be sure to turn on the Cross-Verses searching (as seen in the GSE status bar). You may want to check the box for Custom Punctuation and only find hits if the word is found before a period. This search will not find the word if it occurs as the last word of a version, though. (I think that can be fixed through the use of a range filter, but this makes the search more complicated to constructed and probably won't find any more hits.)

Blessings,
Glenn

Michael Hanel
11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks. The sad part was that I was busy constructing and/or/not queries when the answer was sitting right in front of me the whole time!