PDA

View Full Version : Customized Flashcards

Dogfish Jones
06-02-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm wondering if it is possible to make a customized list of vocab cards that may or may not be greek or hebrew.

For example, my seminary has a test on the Westminster Shorter Catechism that is required for graduation. 45 questions need to be memorized verbatim. It would be helpful to be able to make flashcards in BW with the questions and answers.

I can imagine there would be a lot of other helpful uses for the flashcard module as well.

arggem
09-24-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi,

I realize that I am resurrecting a thread that is almost 4 months old, but it addresses exactly my issue that I didn't want to start a new thread.

Ok, I'm just now beginning to study German. I got home from class and was going to start making flashcards when I thought of the flashcard module in BW6 (ver 11a). I studied up on making a list and tried it, but when I tried to import the vrt file, BW crashed.

This is the procedure I followed to create the list:

1. exported a pre-existing Greek list
2. changed the file name to German.vrt
3. Edited the first 4 lines to reflect my list
4. Deleted all the Greek stuff
5. ADDED:

Col 1: BibleWorks lemma - this should be spelled exactly as used in BibleWorks morphology versions or verse filtering will not work properly. I TRIED PUTTING NOTHING, AND ALSO I TRIED PUTTING SOMETHING.

Col 2: The text to be displayed on the Greek/Hebrew side of the card. I PUT A GERMAN WORD HERE

Col 3: The language. Use "G" or "H". I PUT D (SINCE G WAS TAKEN UP BY GREEK!)

Col 4: The chapter number: Enter any number you want. BLANK

Col 5: The frequency of occurrence. This is used for frequency sorting. BLANK

Col 6: Usage data: BLANK

Col 7: The text to be displayed on the English side of the card. ENGLISH DEFINITION

Col 8: The default name for a sound file to be associated with the word. LEFT THE GREEK *.WAV FILE AND ALSO TRIED LEAVING IT BLANK.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone successfully made a list of non Greek/Hebrew words? Can it be done?

I'm posting here before I check with Charlie and the Mikes.

David Kummerow
09-24-2004, 08:22 PM
I've found VocabWorks to be a great program for creating my own flashcards. It is no problem to make your own cards in whatever language (providing you have the font). See:

http://www.aireville.fsnet.co.uk/vocabworks/

David.

arggem
09-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks David.

I'll check it out. Hopefully sometime it can be done within BW! I have enough programs to contend with already.

Gary

It's all Greek to me
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
This can be done. I have started a Latin flashcard set. As I recall, you have to choose either G or H for the language. It can't be anything else. I just used G for mine. It loaded just fine.

Adelphos
06-02-2005, 10:14 PM
I've found VocabWorks to be a great program for creating my own flashcards.

I give a hearty SECOND to this statement. For my money (VocabWorks is FREE), VocabWorks is the best flashcard program going. I find it easier and more flexible than any of the commerical or shareware versions that I've tried.

mzeindl
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone ... today I came across

I give a hearty SECOND to this statement. For my money (VocabWorks is FREE), VocabWorks is the best flashcard program going. I find it easier and more flexible than any of the commerical or shareware versions that I've tried.

... and wanted to know: Has anyone tried to import BW vocab files into VocabWorks?

-Martin-