PDA

View Full Version : Generate report on verb tenses in a section?

naked
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I am wanting to find the number of future tense verbs in a specific section. Is there a way to do this and have comparative information related to the other verb tenses used?

Like the frequency report, but on tenses instead of words used?

Thanks!

L

MGVH
10-22-2007, 11:26 PM
It sounds like you are trying to create what is called a "Verb River" in Logos. I don't think you can quite do the same thing in BW, but there are some ways to visualize the data you want.
For example, set the limit to your particular selection of interest.
Then do a search for all future tense verbs ( .*@v?f* ). Now use your "Color Selection Window" (under Tools) and choose a color to highlight all the hits of your last search results.
Repeat these steps for each tense and apply different colors to each. You will end up with a visually dramatic view of the various tenses.
OR...
go to HERE (http://www.zhubert.com/bookdetail) on the zhubert.com site and choose your book, then the "slice" in which you are interested. It creates the 'river' like you get in Logos.

naked
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for your post, I do like the chart that zhubert produces. However, I'd really like some text. I'd like to see the frequency as a comparison with other tenses, but also a list of the words used in the particular tense sorted by frequency as well.

Any other thoughts? Should I request a feature?

L

naked
10-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Well, I just typed up a long post about how I couldn't do what I wanted to... but then I figured most of it out.

Through limiting the section and searching morphology I can get a search count that is good. There are still two things that I would like to be able to do:

From the search results on the morphology, compile a frequency list that sorts on lemma
Have the Detailed Stats window be more specific. It can only graph based on the whole book. If I could limit it to a specific section (John 16, or 14-17) then it would be much more helpful.
If I could plot search verb tense against all verb tenses in the passage I would be happy.
Being able to plot all tenses used in a defined selection would also be great!Not sure if this would something to add to the Detailed Stats tool, or to have a Morphology Stats tool.

Just some thoughts.

L