PDA

View Full Version : Can BW7 generate a list of proper nouns?

purplelily
10-20-2007, 06:59 AM
I am at the moment working on a paper on Rom 16:1, on Phoebe: a deacon or a servant. I wanted to get a list of all the women named in the NT. Can it be done?

pearlie

Mark Cannon
10-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Pearlie,

To search for proper noun in the Greek New Testament change your search version to a morphology version such as the BNM and on the Command Line type the following:

.*@n???p*

for any proper noun

or

.*@n?f?p*

for any feminine proper noun

Do note that you will get hits for place names as well, but that should be a start for you.

Blessings,
Mark

purplelily
10-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks Mark! I didn't realise I actually had to type it until I took your reply literally. The lazy-me was copying and pasting and it didn't work! Until I calmed myself down and re-read your reply :)

Thanks for being a blessing!

pearlie

Glenn Weaver
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Pearlie,

Attached is an IEL list containing all the feminine names in the BNM version. You can use the IEL in a variety of ways--searches using the Graphical Search Engine, or open in the Word List Manager.

Blessings,
Glenn

jfidel
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Glen,

I thought it would be interesting to just run a word list and then in a secondary word list put the LN listing for places and then eliminate those words common to both lists to just get the names. However, due to the use of CAPs, I assume, all entries are considered unique. I assume creating a filter using the LN entries in a graphical search would yield incorrect results as well?

Is this a bug?

John Fidel

Glenn Weaver
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi John,

It does appear to be the caps that produce the problem. But if you use the GSE to create the list of words from the LN domain, then search on those words in the BNM, then import the list into the Word List Manager, the words are now in lowercase. Then you can compare lists in the WLM.

Apparently doing a search standardizes all the words, but it appears that the WLM does not do this. I'm not sure if this could be called a bug or not. Maybe, maybe not. The WLM doesn't have a search feature, and it is within the searching that the conversion to lowercase takes place. This may be something to consider for changing in the WLM in the future, though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Glenn

jfidel
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi Glen,

You may want to try and use the method suggested. There are still several issues with the resulting wordlist of places.

John Fidel

Glenn Weaver
10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi John,

I tried the method, and it seems to work, but perhaps I am missing something. Could you provide a little more information, perhaps with some examples of the problems? Feel free to email me with them if you like. My email is gweaver@bibleworks.com

Thanks!
Glenn

purplelily
10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi Pearlie,

Attached is an IEL list containing all the feminine names in the BNM version. You can use the IEL in a variety of ways--searches using the Graphical Search Engine, or open in the Word List Manager.

Blessings,
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I am a very very new BW user and there is so much to learn. BTW, how did you get the IEL list out in the first place?

pearlie

Glenn Weaver
10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Pearlie,

I created an IEL of personal names a while back, and now all I needed to do was filter out the masculine names.

The Word List Manager (WLM) is a great tool for making word lists. After you conduct a search, you can open the WLM, click the Load or Create Word List button, and create a list by selecting the "Load highlighted words from last query" radio button. Click the Create list button, and this imports all the words found in your search.

This offers a lot of possibilities. For example, you can create a list of all the words that have present active indicative forms.

Chapter 27 of the Online Help has detailed information about how to use the WLM. With the WLM open, you can press F1 to open the help to the section on the WLM.

Please continue to ask questions on the forum. There are lots of knowledgable users who are very glad to help.

Blessings,
Glenn