PDA

View Full Version : TIP 7: Highlight Words Used 50 or More Times

Philip Brown
10-19-2007, 04:32 PM
This was a valuable training email, so thanks for the hard work that was put into it.

There would be, however, a way in which this tip could be made more teacher helpful, IMO.

Since all Greek and Hebrew grammars I've used and taught from introduce vocabulary long before the students learn all the forms in which a given word may appear in the text, isolating vocabulary by usage frequency does not guarantee students will be able to recognize, parse, or translate a form whose lemma they actually know.

Suggestion:
Demonstrate how to generate a word list that is grammatically limited to the grammar which has been covered by a given range of chapters in a Greek/Hebrew textbook.

For example, Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek intoduces verb lemmas in the vocabulary of ch. 16: avkou,w( ble,pw( e;cw( lu,w( ktl) However, ch. 16 covers only the present active indicative forms of these verbs. Although a student who has learned ch. 16 vocab knows that avkou,w means "I hear," he will not be able to recognize, parse, or translate avkou,saj until he learns the grammar in Mounce, ch. 28 on Aorist Participles.

Playing off of Tip 7, if color files were generated for each lesson of Mounce which bolded vocabulary only as the grammar was covered, the color files would be more useful for graded reading.

Mark Cannon
10-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your message Philip, I thought this tip might be food for thought.

To produce color files that highlight the occurences of a number of lemmas in a particular form you can simply substitute a Command Line OR search (using "/") for the steps that involve the Word List Manager and Graphical Search Engine.

To use the example of ch. 16 from Mounce, conduct a Command Line OR search in the BNM for each of the verbs in the form "lemma@vipa*" with a space between each word as indicated in the attached Command Line file. Then color your last search results as indicated in "Highlight Each Word Appearing 50 Times or More in the BNT in Bold" in Tip 1.7.