PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Abbreviations in Lexicons

jdarlack
10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Is there a way to search for particular abbreviations in the front matter of the various lexicons in BibleWorks?

If I navigate to the abbreviations and then go to "Edit" and then "Search" it searches the actual lexicon entries, but it does not search the abbreviations.

On the one hand, one might say, "Listen lazy boy, just look up the abbreviation alphabetically." This does not take into account the fact that some of these lexicons have multiple alphabetical lists of abbreviations, so one would have to scan five or six lists.

Michael Hanel
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Is there a way to search for particular abbreviations in the front matter of the various lexicons in BibleWorks?

If I navigate to the abbreviations and then go to "Edit" and then "Search" it searches the actual lexicon entries, but it does not search the abbreviations.

On the one hand, one might say, "Listen lazy boy, just look up the abbreviation alphabetically." This does not take into account the fact that some of these lexicons have multiple alphabetical lists of abbreviations, so one would have to scan five or six lists.

Listen, lazy boy, :cool:

I assume you want front matter material from BDAG. You can open up the file bdagfrnt.rtf (or something close that) in the sub folder "databases" and search via Word. There is also a file called lsfront.rtf and halotfrnt.rtf if you were after those files. Otherwise. I got nothing. I haven't ever tried this, so it might not even be possible, but one could copy and paste the text of other ones into a Word file and save it to provide searchability. Assuming that is possible, it probably would not do a good job saving text format.

jdarlack
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Sure, the RTF thing is a possibility, as is copying the text to word, but I'd think that this would be a basic function to include in the lexicons. Hmmm... I see a feature request in BibleWork's future...

Michael Hanel
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Sure, the RTF thing is a possibility, as is copying the text to word, but I'd think that this would be a basic function to include in the lexicons. Hmmm... I see a feature request in BibleWork's future...

Well of course, but I had to give some kind of answer with that set up :)