PDA

View Full Version : Proverbs 19:27 "Questionable validity"?

Dan Phillips
10-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Why does the popup note on the first verb in the Hebrew text say "verb qal imperative masculine singular homonym 2 Ed:Questionable validity"?

Is it because it's linked to the HAL ch-d-l root II (become round, fat), and should probably be root I (cease)?

Then why this note, instead of fixing it?

(Forgot how to do Hebrew in posts, sorry.)

Glenn Weaver
10-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Dan,

The note is from the Westminster tagged text. BW links the word to the homonym 1 meaning, so the note (and homonymn 2 tagging) are not relevant for the lexicon links. But if a person is searching on homonym tags, this would be a false hit. Because of our licensing agreement we cannot change the WTM tagging. I expect that this is one that slipped through the WTM proofing process.

Blessings,
Glenn

Dan Phillips
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for answering, Glenn, but I'm not sure I understand. When I mouse-over the word, what comes up in the lexicon window is the homonym II entry, not I. The popup definition gives the I definition, but then says it is II.

So are you saying that BW did the definition (which is correct), but is not allowed by copyright to fix the wrong identification in the popup, and the wrong entry in the resource window on the right?

Glenn Weaver
10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi Dan,

I'm sorry, but I overlooked the fact that there are two lemmas listed in the parsing info.

The popup tooltip uses the definitions found in the Vocabulary Flashcard Tool. This is why the correct definition is given, even if the incorrect homonym is listed. But BW uses the WTM tagging information (which lists homonym 2) to identify what definition is displayed.

The best way to correct this item would be to change the morphology tagging (supplemental codes HbN1 are the two codes needing to be changed), but we cannot do that because of our license. BW does have a linking table that identifies what lexicon entry should open for lemma. But I don't know enough about how it operates to know if we could correct an error like this using that table. (The link table is not user-editable. Sorry.)

I know this doesn't provide an answer to the problem, but perhaps it helps clarify the problem. You may also want to check other lexicons to verify lexicon entries. The link to BDB lists the correct entry. Holladay lists both homonymn 1 and homonym 2 entries.

Blessings,
Glenn

Glenn Weaver
10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi Dan,

Here is another help for when the homonym entry is incorrect or questionable. Under Tools | Options | Option Flags | General Hebrew Options, check the box for Display all homonyms in Analysis Window.

This way all the homonym entries will display, and you can choose which one is the correct one.

Glenn

Dan Phillips
10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks very much, Glenn. That helps!

Mark Eddy
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Dan,

Here is another help for when the homonym entry is incorrect or questionable. Under Tools | Options | Option Flags | General Hebrew Options, check the box for Display all homonyms in Analysis Window.

This way all the homonym entries will display, and you can choose which one is the correct one.

Glenn
I have never gotten this feature to work on my two computers. When I check "Display all homonymns in Analysis Window" I still always see only one of the homonyms. When I reboot BW, the box is unchecked. If the change were being made in BW, the box should remain checked after closing BW. But it does not. Am I the only one with this problem?
Mark Eddy

Dan Phillips
10-17-2007, 07:25 AM
No Mark, I was going to come back and mention the same thing.

Glenn, I checked the box you mention, but it won't stay checked, so it never takes effect. It unchecks itself. This has happened both on an XP and a Vista pc.

Glenn Weaver
10-17-2007, 09:07 AM
That's just an undocumented feature. This way you don't have to uncheck the box to see the 'correct' homonym only.

Seriously, I have the same bug on my machine, too. We'll see what we can do to fix it.

Blessings,
Glenn

Dan Phillips
10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
LOL

I do IT support for a living. I know all about "undocumented features." Windows is particularly rich in them!