PDA

View Full Version : verse history window

Andrew Fincke
10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
:(It's not working. It doesn't list the verses just seen, which are the only ones I need it for. Frankly, BW7 is a step backwards from BW6, which had a dropdown results verse list history list box - see BW6 manual p. 200. Now I can't even configure the verse history list - see ibid., p. 244.

Stefan Green
10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
You can open the vers history box by clicking on its icon below the menubar.
Stefan

Mark Eddy
10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
If I remember correctly the "verse history" and "word history" buttons do not display on the button bar by default. So you have to click on the "Buttonbar setup" button first. Then find the buttons you want (on the left hand side) and "Add" them to the right hand side (those that display). Then the buttons work exactly as in 6.0.
Here is what BW7 "Help" says (open the verse history list, put the cursor over it, and hit the "f1" key to get this "Help").
The Word and Verse History Listboxeshttp://www.bibleworks.com/forums/mk:@MSITStore:c:\program%20files\bibleworks%207\bw 700.chm::/bwh09_SearchWindow_files/bwh09_3.jpghttp://www.bibleworks.com/forums/mk:@MSITStore:c:\program%20files\bibleworks%207\bw 700.chm::/bwh09_SearchWindow_files/bwh09_4.jpg

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/mk:@MSITStore:c:\program%20files\bibleworks%207\bw 700.chm::/bwh09_SearchWindow_files/wordhist.jpg http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/mk:@MSITStore:c:\program%20files\bibleworks%207\bw 700.chm::/bwh09_SearchWindow_files/versehist.jpg BibleWorks maintains a list of verses that you have visited and another list of words and phrases that you have entered on the Command Line. These list are maintained automatically and maintain a maximum of 1000 entries. When a list gets full, entries will be removed from the beginning of the list to make room at the end for new entries. Both list boxes have a checkbox that you can use to enable or disable automatic additions to the list. There is also a pair of buttons to add and remove items manually. The contents of these lists are saved between sessions. You can jump to a verse in the verse list to look up a word or phrase in the Word List Box simple by clicking on the item the list. The lists are opened via the two button bar buttons shown here.

The Word and Verse History List boxes can also be opened by selecting the appropriate option in the Main Menu View | Show/Hide menu.

I hope this is what you are seeking.
Mark Eddy

Andrew Fincke
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Actually I got it to work, Mark. For some reason it was sticking and not adding the verses. Sometimes when I'm working with a list, instead of going back to the results list and clicking the next one, which is three verses down from the one just used, I just scroll down at the left by hitting the down arrow three times. Problem is that that verse isn't added to the verse history list, because I didn't specify it through selection in the results list. I think you could make the system a little more efficient - register that a certain verse is examined - that is not just zipped through on the way to another verse - say it's held for 15 seconds - and then add that into the verse history box. 1000 verses back doesn't interest me, but rather the plethora of verses that I've examined (not zipped through) recently.
Andrew Fincke

Andrew Fincke
10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Another problem is that whenever I switch search versions and start a search, the result for the new search - usually a verse in Genesis - automatically gets blodged into the verse history box, even when I spent no time using it. That makes it difficult finding the verses I just used, since they get shoved back in the list to make way for the Genesis verse.
Andrew Fincke

Andrew Fincke
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Seems like every time I hit verse history, the last one on the list - supposedly the most recently used - is a verse from Genesis or Exodus that gets thrown in, because it's at the top of the last search result list. For convenience, I rarely limit my searches to the text portion of interest (1-2 Samuel) but rather scroll down to find what I want.

Andrew Fincke
11-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something, and that something is the third of the three arrows (angles?) at the top of the browse window at the right. I hit the top one; that gives me the text-verse previous to the one currently shown in the browse window (Gen 6:17 instead of 18). I hit the second one, and I get the next verse (6:19 becomes 6:20). I hit the third one - which is identical to the first one (pointed up) - and nothing happens. In BW6 that arrow brought up what I need - the previous verse used - not, as happens now in the verse history box that blocks part of my browse window, the topmost verses in lists from previous searches.
Andrew

Mark Eddy
11-07-2007, 11:32 PM
The third arrow from the top of the browse window is to scroll the browse window up, if, for example you have multiple versions open or you have an entire chapter in the window and you have scrolled down within the browse window, and now you want to scroll back up. If you can see everything you have displayed in the browse window then the third arrow will appear to "do nothing."
Perhaps what you want to use is the arrows at the top of the tabs on the far right-hand side. These arrows will let you view previously-viewed browse windows (since the last time you opened BibleWorks), and then come back to the latest browse window contents. The arrows to the left of those two arrows will let you move through the tabs, if you have different verses or versions in use on different tabs.
Mark Eddy

Andrew Fincke
11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks, Mark,
The problem now as before is that extraneous verses - that is the top verse in the results of a search - automatically gets thrown into the verse history. That really screws up your concentration when you're working with multiple verses and multiple search criteria.
Andrew

Andrew Fincke
11-12-2007, 06:42 PM
That is to say - if I do a search for something peculiar, a text search (WTT) for example, and only one verse comes up -- FINE, that verse gets registered to Verse History; and I do my work. But if - and that is much much more often the case - the search produces a list of verses, then I don't want the top verse of that list automatically getting tacked on to the end of my personal verse history and gumming up the sequence of what I was working on.
Andrew

Mark Eddy
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
That is to say - if I do a search for something peculiar, a text search (WTT) for example, and only one verse comes up -- FINE, that verse gets registered to Verse History; and I do my work. But if - and that is much much more often the case - the search produces a list of verses, then I don't want the top verse of that list automatically getting tacked on to the end of my personal verse history and gumming up the sequence of what I was working on.
Andrew
What you are really asking is not information about how to find information in the verse history list. You would like a change in the way that BW creates the verse history list. I suggest that you make this suggestion by checking out the following link:
How to Get Customer Support/Submit an Idea/Report a Bug (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268)
That way one of the programmers will consider whether your suggestion is an improvement, whether they had good reasons to have it function as it does presently, and how easy or difficult it would be to make your suggested change, if such a change is desirable.
Mark Eddy