PDA

View Full Version : Search Window/ Analysis Window

ChrisStapleton
10-01-2007, 03:26 AM
I want to look up a word like pray. So i type in .pray and i get a list of all the scripture references according to the word searched. I now want to see the hebrew and greek context but i do not speak hebrew or greek. Can BibleWorks let me see the context without my having to know the language?

Steve Watkins
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Well, I'm not sure I completly understand what you're looking for...

But you can simply add Greek and Hebrew versions to your browse window list (like BGT, WTT), and toggle the browse mode to display individual verses in each display version... that way, you can see the verse in English as well as Greek or Hebrew. Then, if you want the Gk/Hb context, just double click on one of those version headers to activate that version, and toggle back to browse mode to see the whole context.

But I don't know how much you'll benefit if you aren't able to read the text... is there something different that you're looking for?

ChrisStapleton
10-02-2007, 05:17 AM
Is there a way in Parallel KJV and GNT Verse Acts 17:23 to highlight the word "altar" and have it highlight in the Greek?

Im trying to find the context of the Greek word without having to know the language. Is this possible?

ingosorke
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Turn on Strong's Numbers in View -- Show/Hide -- Strong's Numbers. Now the Greek definition of an English word will show up in your Word Analysis Window. That's the closest I can think of to accomplish what you might be looking for.

However, languages are a bit more complex than a direct Word A (language of origin) to a Word A' (target language) correspondence. In other words, you will not always find a 100% correspondence from English to Greek/Hebrew, and that's why it is impossible to have a Greek word highlighted automatically when you click on an English word. Grammar or style demands the omission or addition of a word from one language to another.

For example, the German translation of the English "What's your name?" will not contain the word "name".

Incidentally, the complexity of language means that I can know just enough of another language to inflict a lot of damage on it! Illustration: If I want to discover the meaning of the word "butterfly", studying the words "butter" and "fly" won't help at all; in fact, it would lead me astray! (O.k., flies do like to hang around butter!) The English phrase "Do you have hope?" contains 4 words; the same can be said in Greek with 2 words, in German with 3, French up to 7, etc.

W. Mounce has a nice volume to get some feel for Greek: Greek for the Rest of us (which, at some point, is all of us!). In the meanwhile, have fun exploring Bibleworks!

Hope this helps a bit.

Ingo