PDA

View Full Version : Best modules for Greek exegesis

MortenJensen
09-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi all
I am considering expanding in the BW modules department. When preparing exegesis for classes, I spend most of my time with the resource summary window, which just works great. I currently have BDAG, Wallace's beyond basics, Liddell-scott and some OT-stuff.

Now, I was just checking what else is available - and so my question: what can be recommended the most:
- BDF-grammar
- Zerwick grammar
- Moulton vocabulary
- ?

What I am after is simply resources to unlock the richness of the Greek text for teaching purposes.

I find both some of the free grammars and Wallace very helpful indeed.

What I would have like the most is a verse by verse commentary on the Greek, which does not seem available at the moment. But the many direct references in eg. Wallace is of great help.

I guess that BDF is a most - but what about the two others. Are they any good?

Actually, one day I might suggest to the BW-community that we should compile a verse by verse commentary on the Greek (not morphology but syntax and so on). That would be a big seller for BW!

Thanks

Morten

Tom D
09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
What I am after is simply resources to unlock the richness of the Greek text for teaching purposesHi Morten:

I asked a quite similar question in "non-BibleWorks Discussion" ("Commentaries on the Greek NT) a couple of days ago.

I received some very helpful advice there, and have ordered some of the books recommended - including Carson's survey, some of the UBS translators' handbooks, and "New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament, The" .

You might get some help from those recommendations as a start.

Philip Brown
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Moulton's vocab of the papyri is great if you read Koine well and will actually read Moulton.

I'd found Zerwick more exegetically helpful than BDF, but I'm sure there would be others who would see it the other way.:)

MortenJensen
09-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi Morten:

I asked a quite similar question in "non-BibleWorks Discussion" ("Commentaries on the Greek NT) a couple of days ago.

I received some very helpful advice there, and have ordered some of the books recommended - including Carson's survey, some of the UBS translators' handbooks, and "New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament, The" .

You might get some help from those recommendations as a start.

Hej Tom
Yes, I saw your question - only, this time I am thinking on BW modules solely in order to have the help presented in the res.sum. window.
Thanks anyway
Morten

Tom D
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
... only, this time I am thinking on BW modules solely in order to have the help presented in the res.sumahhhhh - that would be why you wrote ... "Best MODULES"!!

Sorry for the mud in the water...