PDA

View Full Version : Commentaries on the Greek NT

Tom D
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Having achieved a basic competence (present active!) in Koine Greek, I have begun a book by book study of the Greek New Testament.

It would be of great benefit to me (for others, also?) to have some comment, from those Christians fluent in Koine Greek, on the best available commentaries for the different books of the Greek New Testament.

At this stage, I would like to stay quite close to those whose convictions I share, which run along the Augustine-Calvin-Owen(et al)-Warfield-Murray and Westminster vein. (With many variants, but I think this places me.). Or, at the least, I would like to know clearly ahead of time of substantial departures.

Thus I have begun with RT France’s NIGTC study on The Gospel of Mark and CEB Cranfield’s study on Romans, both of which are proving marvellously helpful to me.

In my ongoing in-depth study of the Word of God ( sou kai. meleth,seij evn auvtw/| h`me,raj kai. nukto,j ) in this small Western Canadian village-by-the -sea, your advice will be most helpful and much appreciated – invaluable actually!

So please ADVISE, and thank you for doing so!

Dale A. Brueggemann
09-21-2007, 12:13 AM
It would be of great benefit to me (for others, also?) to have some comment... on the best available commentaries for the different books of the Greek New Testament.

Sounds like you would do well to get a copy of this: Carson, D. A. New Testament Commentary Survey. 5th ed. Grand Rapids, Mich. Baker Academic, 2001.

Tom D
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Sounds like you would do well to get a copy of this: Carson, D. A. New Testament Commentary Survey. 5th ed. Grand Rapids, Mich. Baker Academic, 2001.Thks. I've put this on my shopping list.

As many here have already experienced, reading the NT in the original brings a whole new insight. In this I find, for example, that R.T. France's phrase by phrase dealing with the Greek in Mark along with his exegesis adds enormously to my appreciation of that book - quite a change from being confined to a translators' take - no matter how good.

It also contributes much to my development in Greek. This is what I hope to find for other NT books.

ingosorke
09-21-2007, 12:22 PM
With a working knowledge of Greek, you'd enjoy Cleon L. Rogers' The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament (Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 1998). More so grammatical guide than commentary (similarly Zerwick's A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament).

The extensive textual footnotes of the NET Bible might also be of interest (www.bible.org (http://www.bible.org)).

United Bible Societies has a translator's commentary on most books of the Bible: http://www.ubs-translations.org/cms/index.php?id=73,0,0,1,0,0

And a great commentary available at Wal-Mart: a blank notebook . . . to be filled over time by yourself. :)
Go slowly, savor the process.

Ingo

Tom D
09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
And a great commentary available at Wal-Mart: a blank notebook . . .

Thanks much, Ingo:

Most helpful - all ---- and yes, the notebook ---- and that wonderful new study tool --- cut-and-paste.

Imagine when we meet Jonathan Edwards, who kept running out of scraps of paper on which he penned his great theses!!