PDA

View Full Version : Mac G4 & G5 - What to do (?)!!!

Q Bee
09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Dear BibleWorks users,

I am considering buying BibleWorks, but want a program that will operate on both my G4 Laptop and my G5 as well as a PC Laptop. The information furnished by BibleWorks only comments that some Virtual PC types of programs will allow BibleWorks to operate on the G3 or G4, so I am at a loss to know if I am making correct choices.

If there is anyone here who can help me to make the correct choices, I prefer to work most of the time on the G5, but take the G4 with me when I travel, so I'd like to know what I'm up against before I put money into Virtual PC types of interfaces plus the BibleWorks program. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

"Q"

Ben Spackman
09-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I can't speak for the G3, but I happily run Bibleworks on my MacBook C2d 1.83, using Parallels and Windows XP Sp2. I've had some minor hiccups, but mostly due to my odd setup. I don't know how Parallels would run on a G3, though.

Q Bee
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
I can't speak for the G3, but I happily run Bibleworks on my MacBook C2d 1.83, using Parallels and Windows XP Sp2. I've had some minor hiccups, but mostly due to my odd setup. I don't know how Parallels would run on a G3, though.

Thanks, Ben, ... so you think the choices you've made would also likely work on the G5? What sort of hiccups did you run into (if they are not too much trouble to describe)?

Q

Ben Spackman
09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Due to the fact that my Windows disc is keyed to my Dell desktop (grrr, curse you Microsoft!) and I hold out hope of finding a legitimate used disc from someone, every 30 days I have to reinstall Windows, then SP2, then my windows programs (BW, Logos, MS Office, Endnote, FolioViews). I also don't copy all my data (Infobases, BW notes, etc.) into the Windows "drive" once it's installed, since it means I have to remember to copy it all back into the Apple drive before i delete the now-useless partition at the end of 30 days.

Sometimes I forget an update, or do something out of order, or don't configure it the same way with Parallels.

My hiccups have included- BW suddenly closing and erasing my note I was working on, 2x; Randomly slow access speeds, since Windows is reading data from the Apple portion of the drive; Parallels suddenly disappearing (no shut-down warnings or anything, it's like it hadn't been started at all), maybe once or twice.

But I've been using it this way for 4-5 months now, and my complaints are minor. Parallels keeps getting better, and I'm about to break down and pay for another copy of Windows so I don't have to reinstall constantly.

BTW, I also have 2 Gig of RAM installed, which helps keep things fairly snappy.

Q Bee
09-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Due to the fact that my Windows disc is keyed to my Dell desktop (grrr, curse you Microsoft!) and I hold out hope of finding a legitimate used disc from someone, every 30 days I have to reinstall Windows, then SP2, then my windows programs (BW, Logos, MS Office, Endnote, FolioViews). I also don't copy all my data (Infobases, BW notes, etc.) into the Windows "drive" once it's installed, since it means I have to remember to copy it all back into the Apple drive before i delete the now-useless partition at the end of 30 days.

Sometimes I forget an update, or do something out of order, or don't configure it the same way with Parallels.

My hiccups have included- BW suddenly closing and erasing my note I was working on, 2x; Randomly slow access speeds, since Windows is reading data from the Apple portion of the drive; Parallels suddenly disappearing (no shut-down warnings or anything, it's like it hadn't been started at all), maybe once or twice.

But I've been using it this way for 4-5 months now, and my complaints are minor. Parallels keeps getting better, and I'm about to break down and pay for another copy of Windows so I don't have to reinstall constantly.

BTW, I also have 2 Gig of RAM installed, which helps keep things fairly snappy.

Dear Ben,

This is getting scarier rather than easier. Although I've got 5.5 GB of SDRAM, I still don't have a clue as to how things will perform with parallel formats plus all the extras thrown in.

I went looking for the Windowx XP to see what it would cost to buy a copy, but have as yet not found it. I understand that Virtual PC is now a free download, so maybe it's not as costly and convoluted as it all seems, but I'm hoping someone who has the two systems operating on a G5 without problems will turn up in this forum before I have to buy lots of troublesome stuff.

Peace be with you,

Q

macaddicted
11-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I believe that both Parallels and Fusion require an Intel processor on your Mac. For pre-Intel processors you are going to need to find a copy of something like VirtualPC. I ran BW 6, 5 and 4 (IIRC) on virtual PC using G4 laptops and VirtualPC. Currently I am running BW 6 on a CD MacBook Pro and Parallels.

If you have the ability, and the desire, to upgrade to an intel based mac you can always go the route of buying an OEM version of Windows XP (or Vista) from newegg.com and then purchase either Fusion or Parallels.

Henrik
11-23-2007, 03:28 PM
My one big reservation in going to the Mac is the usability of BW on some kind of Windows emulation on the Mac. It does seem, from this thread, that it is doable but not necessarily smooth. The verdict is probably out on Leopard, though, because of its newness. The issue with having an Intel processor is probably not so much an issue, is it, since new Macs all have Intel processors, right?

Anyone have anything to do add? I'm going to stay on Windows for a little while longer.

Nathan Jewett
11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
My one big reservation in going to the Mac is the usability of BW on some kind of Windows emulation on the Mac. It does seem, from this thread, that it is doable but not necessarily smooth. The verdict is probably out on Leopard, though, because of its newness. The issue with having an Intel processor is probably not so much an issue, is it, since new Macs all have Intel processors, right?

Anyone have anything to do add? I'm going to stay on Windows for a little while longer.

The integration of the Intel chips has improved compatibility with Windows-based applications considerably. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion offer excellent platforms for running Bibleworks. While there were a few issues related to Parallels and Leopard, these have been fixed with the latest patch.

And if you really don't trust these virtual machine configurations, you always have the option of Boot Camp, which is now standard on Leopard. While running Windows in Boot Camp, the OS actually communicates directly with the system hardware resulting in "native" Windows operation.

If you ask me, I say you should switch to Mac as soon as you can. However, I may be a little partial being that I work for Apple as well. :)