PDA

View Full Version : Format of WLM-Generated Lexicons

Tom D
09-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I am creating a number of subsets of ἅπαξ λεγόμενa lexicons from the WLM using the "Make Lexicon" option from the "File" menu.

Obviously having a separate frequency entry for each word is redundant for these files. I would like to eliminate the frequency line altogether in the lexicon which is output from the WLM. I have looked up and down, but have not been able to find any reference to managing the format of the lexcion which is generated by the WLM.

Can anyone tell me whether there is a simple way to control the format of the generated lexicon, so that it does not include the frequency line? Obviously I can strip the line off in my Word Processor - but it would be nice to do it at source if it is a simple switch.

Tom D
09-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Though it's a small matter and the answer may be obvious (though not to me!), I'd like to try this question once again - Am I committed to the preset format (below), or is it possible to eliminate the frequency line (in red) when I generate a "lexicon" from the Word List Manager?

sti,lbw (1 times)

UBS Greek Dictionary:
sti,lbw glisten, dazzle, shine

Thank you in advance for a word on the 'adjustability' of the WLM "lexicon" format.

Tom D
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Bob:

Thank you for joining the question. I was beginning to feel a bit lonely! Being a BW novice (and an immediate - and ardent - advocate!) I didn't dare to presume that others had not raised this - but I rather guess that many have simply dealt with it in their Editor.

I will watch for the expert advice.

Glenn Weaver
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Tom,

Perhaps the Report Generator will do what you want. Open the Report Generator from the main Bibleworks menu (Tools | Report Generator), then set up the Report Generator to fit your needs. Use the proper version and range in the verse range box. (See below for more info on the verse range box.)

Check the appropriate Greek lexicon (UBS is good for this task). Remove all versions from the "Include Biblical Text for these Versions" box. Include the Greek or Hebrew text (BGT, etc., not morphology versions) in the "Analyze . . ." box.

In the Lexicon Filtering box, enter "2" in the "Exclude Lex words if freq >=" box. This limits your output to only words that occur 1 time. IMPORTANT--this freqency relates to how many times the words appear in your Version Range. If the version range is Philemon, then it will include all words that appear only once in Philemon, even if the words appear hundreds of times elsewhere in the NT. (If you want the entire NT, the report will take a while to generate.)

You can also include a Morph Code Include Filter to limit the words to only certain forms. For example, to limit the list to only verbs, enter "v*" in the box.

In the Report Options section, only check the box to "Include Lexicon Entries." Remove all other check boxes.

Below is a picture of my Report Generator settings to find all the HAPAX LEGOMENA in Philemon, using the UBS dictionary and the BGT.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

Tom D
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Glenn,

I ran through a few scenarios with the Report Generator, and it certainly does have some charms of its own (eg: "Lemma/Form Analysis )

It also provides me with one way to do lexicon lists and other review and analysis outputs .... now if I could just feed the outcome of the WLM into it...!

What I really like about the WLM, and especially in combination with the GSE, is the power and versatility to develop unique lists with quite sophisticated logic. Just being able to feed an i/e file back into the GSE again I find awsome!

Thus, I will still be looking to generate Lexicon lists from the WLM.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I will definitely spend a bit more time with the Report Generator when I don't require sophisticated logic for the input.