PDA

View Full Version : Limit chapter on command line?

LarryW
08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Is it possible to limit a specific chapter range or specific book and search for a specific word from the same command line? Right now if I want to limit to Romans I type l rom and then search for the word. I'd like to do both at the same time.

Thanks,
Larry

Adelphos
08-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Is it possible to limit a specific chapter range or specific book and search for a specific word from the same command line? Right now if I want to limit to Romans I type l rom and then search for the word. I'd like to do both at the same time.

Thanks,
Larry

No, you must first set the limits, then type your search.

briantipton
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Are you wanting to do this as a temporary way of changing the limits? I could see a usefulness for something like this: a one time limit change for a search without having to navigate the dialogs to do it. After the search was complete, the limits automatically go back to the way they were.

Perhaps it could be accomplished something like

l rom: .faith Not sure what the exact syntax should be. Just a thought.

SCSaunders
08-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey LarryW,

I'm attempting 2 things here. (1) Defining your question. (2) Experiment with a free Screen Capture tool. (I wanted to have this in video with sound, but my mic isn't currently working. "Curse you Satan! Beguiler of all simple tech advances!").

First: Your search seeks to remove one key stroke. Correct? E.g. ...

[F2] gets your cursor to the command line.
[l rom + Enter] sets the search limit.
(Cursor stays put in command line; doesn't move)
[.faith + Enter] runs the search.So your question seeks to remove the "Enter" after the [l rom] command line Entry?

Second: Here's (http://www.screencast.com/t/O8KSPtaJZ) a picture of my question.

LarryW
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Actually, I was originally trying to do a one time limit search in specific chapters for specific word.

Yes, save those key strokes! Energy saved for another day. :-)

As an example, with ESV selected for search, I was hoping something like
l rom 12:1-2 .bodies. But that doesn't work.

Guess it's not possible.

Thanks for the responses though.
Larry

briantipton
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
What we are after is a temporary limit. After the command is run, it returns to the previous set of limits. For instance, let's say you have limited your search to the book of the 12. But now, want to search only Malachi 3-5 for a word. Being able to specify that on the command line, do you search, and then return to your broader limits would be very useful.

Michael Hanel
08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Unless I am wrong, you can use tabs to do this as well. It won't do exactly what it is you're asking but in one tab you can have a limit of Rom 1-2 and in another tab have a working limit of Mal 1-2 and go back and forth to the tabs as a way to work w the different limits.

Again, that's not what you're asking about entirely, but it is a different way to use limits and tabs.

SCSaunders
08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
What we are after is a temporary limit. After the command is run, it returns to the previous set of limits. For instance, let's say you have limited your search to the book of the 12. But now, want to search only Malachi 3-5 for a word. Being able to specify that on the command line, do you search, and then return to your broader limits would be very useful.I gotcha! Finally makes sense. I think Michael's idea is a good. You may also want to clone the window, once the search is done. Run the temporary search in the cloned.

But - as stated several times so far, not exactly what you are asking for.