PDA

View Full Version : Greek-English Lexicon for PDA

Tom D
08-09-2007, 10:54 PM
I have been searching all over for a Greek-English lexicon for my Axim x5v. I have the usual software for e-Sword, OliveTree, etc. - including Gramcord Lite, parsed LXX, Strong's, etc. - but I would like to find a searchable lexicon similar to Mounce's Analytical Lexicon. My interest here is more on the Greek forms than on the English definitions.

I would like to be able to search for a word IN GREEK, and find its various forms - for example the six forms of the verb - and, of course basic definitions .

Anyone know if such a resource is available yet for PDAs?

Tom D.

cdclayton
08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
GMPSoft (www.gmpsoft.com) has some software that allows you to search the Greek Text based on grammatical features. Check their website for more information.

HTH,

Charles

Dunk
08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi Tom,
I haven't found any software of doing this yet. Olive tree cannot search by lemma, but it would be worth emailing them and asking for it. If enough ask for it they may implement it.

In the meantimes I have 2 ways of doing this:
1) I use the NASB with strongs in Olive tree and search for the strongs number. This can be useful because strongs will mention cognates.

2) I use the Gramcord NT in Olive Tree and search for the word stem with a wildcard. Of course this has serious limitations especially with verbs. For example you have to do at least 2 searches, one with an augment, and one without. You also have to search for different tense stems!
On the plus side, searching with a wildcard can be useful for finding cognates.

I have set up shortcuts with the buttons on my PDA so that I can easily switch between Gramcord and NASB, so that the strongs numbers search is not too awkward.

Peace
D

SCSaunders
08-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Good Thread. Useful Question and Answers. :)

MGVH
08-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Well, there is another way that I use to run BibleWorks on my PDA (a Dell Axim x51v running WinMobile 5 and capable of VGA) using remote control software. The only thing is that it requires that you install LogMeIn on your home computer and that your computer is on and LogMeIn is enabled. Here's what to do:

Go to LogMeIn (https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp). You will need to set up an account, but the free version does everything I need. You will need to set up an account for your own computer with password and make sure LogMeIn is enabled on the computer. (It show up in the System Tray.) Once you have downloaded/installed everything, you need to go to the LogMeIn site on your PDA. It will want to run software on your PDA, so do that. [So far, this is all first time only stuff. You won't need to do it every time.]

Now that you are all set, use your PDA to go to the LogMeIn page. Sign in to your account. It will show you that your home computer is available, and you initiate a remote control session. That is, you have complete control over your home computer. Start up BW7 and run it on your home computer, but you have it on your PDA. Here's a really lousy low-res pic of it on my Axim. It is perfectly clear and legible on my Axim, and I usually switch to landscape mode. I had just opened the program, went to Mark 6.34 and double-tapped on poimena and ran the search.
http://www.crossmarks.com/blog/bwonpda.jpg
A couple other things: I have found LogMeIn to be perfectly safe, secure, and unobtrusive.
The primary reason I installed it on my computer--and on every other computer of members of my extended family--is because I'm the 'computer guy.' Now when they have problems, I just login and take over their computers (initial permission on their part is required). It has saved me soooooooooo much time compared to trying to talk them through steps over the phone. (It is kind of like the built-in Windows Remote Desktop program, but it is much simpler and easier to use and doesn't require the other end to initiate the request.)

Dunk
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Mark,
Thankyou so much for sharing that wonderful tip of using LogMeIn.
I installed it as soon as I read your post, and it has changed everything (in a good way).
It now means that when I am on the street talking to Muslims, I can actually show them P46 and other manuscripts from Comfort and Barrett. Interestingly I can read the photos more clearly on my PDA screen than on my desktop computer.
Furthermore I can access all of my Bibleworks notes.

The only drawback is that its hard to navigate BW because I have to keep on scrolling with my tiny PDA screen. Any tips on the best way to set up the screen for this?

I still find Olive Tree much easier for most of my Greek study when I'm out and about, dues to its speed and the fact that everything fits on the screen.
But now I can add to this by using all of BW and Libronix features in addition.
Amazing!!!
Peace
D

Tom D
08-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Thank you all for the response and such interesting suggestions.

I have looked at GMPSoft and it doesn't appear to have quite what I want. I do agree that OliveTree would be a good provider - perhaps even through Gramcord Lite which does have a reasonably good greek search capacity - though not directly to the dictionary itself.

I will take up the suggestion and send them an Email. I did raise the question with them by telephone last week, but the person I spoke with was not very knowledgeable.

LogMein is a whole new concept for me, and I will go and try it out - it sounds like it would add a good deal of capacity to the little old Axim.

In His Service,
Tom D.

MGVH
08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hello, "Dunk,"
Muslims want to see P46? Who knew?!?! I wish I could get my seminary students excited about checking out P46!

Yes, LogMeIn is pretty cool to use to run another computer. Yes, the scrolling is a bit of a problem as is the inability to right-click on a PDA.

There is a way to reduce scrolling around, but it is a bit of a pain. Switch your home computer monitor resolution to 640x480 (or try 800x600). Messes up your desktop, but when you use LogMeIn on the Axim, there is less need to scroll around.

jmacleod
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Tom,

Take a look at my free Pocket PC flash card program at www.pdascholar.com (http://www.pdascholar.com). It is a free program that is a work in progress and has some bugs. I use it as a lexicon all the time. Searching can be done on the lexical form of the words.

I am working on adding tense forms to the Mounce database.

Jamie

SCSaunders
08-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Tom,

Take a look at my free Pocket PC flash card program at www.pdascholar.com (http://www.pdascholar.com). It is a free program that is a work in progress and has some bugs. I use it as a lexicon all the time. Searching can be done on the lexical form of the words.

I am working on adding tense forms to the Mounce database.

Jamie
Nice! I've seen Mounce mention this on his site. I'll definitely be taking a closer look.

jmacleod
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Just remember it's free. I am aware of problems with it. It's just a matter of juggling my Greek, work and programming (Oh yea I have a family as well). :)

SCSaunders
08-15-2007, 05:42 AM
It's just a matter of juggling my Greek, work and programming (Oh yea I have a family as well). :)"Dear Heavenly Father, we thank You for jmacleod's hard work. Let him know it's appreciated by us all. And starting TODAY Omnipotent Father, please make him feel octopus-like ease in juggling his work/life balance. You know what I'm sayin' Father - 'octo' as in 'eight' arms. (PS Omniscient Father, and You know best - not me; please don't add those suction-pad things up and down the length of each arm; certainly not on his hands. "Tentacles" I think they're called. Father, that might be taking my prayer too literal and too far. Juggling is - as you All-Knowingly know, synchronized 'catch 'n' release'.)"