PDA

View Full Version : How to search in hebrew

perherman
08-07-2007, 04:50 AM
I just bought BW7, I previously many years ago worked with version 4.

I need some help in searching in Hebrew.

I would like to find references where שכן or שם (DWELL and NAME) can be found and with the intent to find all references of NAME and not THERE.

When I do this search I get both cases (NAME and THERE), or I do it a little differently I get no results (with NAME) at all (depending on whether I enter שם or שכן first.)

Is it possible to use an Israeli layout of the keyboard instead of the BW defauilt layout?

Any suggestions?

Per-Olof Hermansson

SCSaunders
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I would suggest starting here:

Help/Study Guides/Analyzing Bible Text/Searching the Greek and Hebrew Text. Good section with a nice 6 minute video.

http://i11.tinypic.com/6h4q592.jpg

Andrew Fincke
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Dear Per-Olaf,
For the keyboard go to Hebrew options flags! Make sure you've got BW7 with all the updates! If you still have trouble, tell me! For the search, put the cursor to the right of שם, hit SHIFT+2! You'll get the code-help pane. Speicfy NOUN, COMMON, then *! That ensures that all the שםs you get are nouns. Glad to be of help.

perherman
08-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks
I got the Israeli keyboard, and will test searching as you suggested,

Per-Olof

Andrew Fincke
08-08-2007, 11:19 PM
The Israeli keyboard has shin at A and sin at Q. It's not perfect in that if you make a mistake in the search pane and go back to change something, you may have to type it in the phonetic system.