PDA

View Full Version : Search on Wallace Grammar misses occurrences

ericjdaniels
05-27-2004, 01:17 PM
On doing a search for "ablative" for instance, the first hit displays a page concerning the semantics of the genitive. Yet, if you scroll down, there are more references to the keyword "ablative." That then raises the question, why isn't the occurrence under "3. Within the Five Case System" listed in the search results? Does that mean that every time a list of results comes up I need to scroll up or down a page or two to make sure that it didn't put a few hits under one result heading?

The only way I found that occurrence was by going to the "Index" hit, and clicking on page 77. Further, there is an entire section from Pages 107-112 on the "Ablative Genitive" that never shows up in the search results either. That one made no sense. If it is in a diagram or some other obscure place, it would seem possible that it could get lost. But a heading??

So after that I figured I'd write. Is this something that needs to be fixed, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks a ton for the help

Eric

MBushell
05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi Eric,

When you do a search in one of the HTML modules, the results lists the chapters (or indexed chunks if the module has been built with chunkc smaller than a chapter - Wallace isn't). If you double click on a results line only the first hit in the chapter is shown. I you want to see if there are other hits in the chapter, click on the text to give it the focus and then hot the RETURN key. Every time you hit the return key another hit will be scrolled into view. When you get to the end it will cycle back to the first hit. This procedure is mentioned in the intro under BibleWorks specific features, but perhaps it should be made a little more prominent.

Hope this helps.

God bless,
Mike

ericjdaniels
05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I really appreciate your help. I will be honest, I am in the middle of an intensive term in graduate school and haven't had time to do the videos yet. I have been a user of BW for awhile in a computer lab setting, but I just recently bought my own copy. So in a few weeks I plan on sitting down and going through all of the tutorial info. So, had I done that, I probably would have seen it.

Thanks so much. It is truly amazing to have this forum to reference, and it is really a blessing to have such instant help.

I am excited to start to really see what BW can do. I am a languages guy who is really clueless when it comes to the capabilities of your software. So needless to say, I am excited to start to tap into its resources.

Thanks again.

Blessings,

Eric

MBushell
05-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Eric,
Take your time. BW is a big program and some people use it for years and still find new stuff occasionally. I even forget what's in there sometimes. Grad school is fun. Been there. Done that - but don't want to do it again :-)
Mike

pouredout
01-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I just bought ESNT and can't figure out how to do what MBushell describes above. Could I get another explanation of the same thing, perhaps in slightly different terms? Maybe an example text would help too. Thank you.

Joe Fleener
01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
1. Open Wallace
2. In the left-hand window choose the search tab.
3. search for 'subjective'
4. In the result topic list double click on Gentive Case
5. Now Click your mouse on the right-hand window.
6. Now hit enter.

- You will notice that each time you hit enter you are taken to the next hit for subjective within that section of Wallace.

pouredout
01-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Thank you, that is helpful. One further question. When I'm working with the Greek text (e.g.BGT) and I want to search Wallace to see if that text is referenced .... I right click and select Lexical & Grammatical Help, the list comes up and I can click on that list to be taken over to Wallace. How do I make sure I see every place that reference is found in Wallace? Is there a similar use of the enter key?

Joe Fleener
01-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Thank you, that is helpful. One further question. When I'm working with the Greek text (e.g.BGT) and I want to search Wallace to see if that text is referenced .... I right click and select Lexical & Grammatical Help, the list comes up and I can click on that list to be taken over to Wallace. How do I make sure I see every place that reference is found in Wallace? Is there a similar use of the enter key?

You are taking the correct aproach.

When looking at the L&GH, if the verse you are looking into is referenced more than once in Wallace you will see it listed more than once in the L&GH window at the end of the links to Wallace.

With that said, there was an issue with the early release of Wallace, Waltke and others where all the references were not being listed. I think this has been corrected.

However, one of the very nice things about Wallace and Waltke is their index.

Once you have Wallace open on the contents look under the Summaries and Idicies. You will see a Scripture Index. Under here and you will be able to quickly see if you are catching all of them.

pouredout
01-25-2005, 02:34 AM
That is very helpful, thank you.