PDA

View Full Version : is Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia on ber 5?

4pbears
08-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi.

i have a question about whether or not Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia is part of bw ver 5, and if so, how to access it. i am about to take a beginning hebrew language course, and one of the requirments is that i have a copy of biblia hebraica stuttgarensia. any help would be appreciated. just i thought, if its not included in bw5 can i buy it as an add on?

God Bless.

Dave Pursey.

Andrew Fincke
08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Do yourself a favor, Dave! Get the paperback edition for about $20! A new edition is in the works, so alot of people and publishers are dumping BHS. Before computers people used to read books, and it's nice to flip pages every once in a while.
Andrew Fincke
PS Don't worry about BW! It's all there.

jdarlack
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
i have a question about whether or not Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia is part of bw ver 5, and if so, how to access it. i am about to take a beginning hebrew language course, and one of the requirments is that i have a copy of biblia hebraica stuttgarensia. any help would be appreciated. just i thought, if its not included in bw5 can i buy it as an add on?If your professor is only requiring the BHS for the sake of translating then BibleWorks has got you covered. If, on the other hand, he wants you to get familiar with the textual apparatus, then you need to pick up a print copy (or see here (http://www.logos.com/products/details/3108)). I agree with Andrew. Shell out the dough and get a paper copy. The paperback's OK. The hard cover will last longer. The wide margin edition published by Hendrickson (http://www.hendrickson.com/html/product/561999.trade.html?category=all) looks nice (PDF preview (http://www.hendrickson.com/pdf/chapters/9781598561999-ch01.pdf)). I have not had a chance to look at one personally, but their binding is typically pretty good, and the presence of extra margin room may help with your own personal notes. Then again, that's what BibleWorks notes are for! The other option, while you're starting out, is to purchase the Biblia Sacra Utriusque Testamenti Editio Hebraica Et Graeca (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1598561790/ref=nosim/oldinthenew-20). This is a handy volume that covers both sides of the protestant canon, giving you a Greek New Testament (NA27) and a Hebrew Old Testament (BHS) in one convenient volume. Just think how impressed your friends will be when you show up for Sunday morning services with your Greek and Hebrew Bible in hand. :) [Just pray they don't ask you to sight read.]
BTW: Be sure that your professor does not mind you using BibleWorks. A growing number of language instructors are requiring students to stay away from Bible software while they're learning the languages. They don't want students to use the computer as an unhealthy crutch.

Michael Hanel
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
The wide margin edition published by Hendrickson (http://www.hendrickson.com/html/product/561999.trade.html?category=all) looks nice (PDF preview (http://www.hendrickson.com/pdf/chapters/9781598561999-ch01.pdf)). I have not had a chance to look at one personally, but their binding is typically pretty good, and the presence of extra margin room may help with your own personal notes.

And from that website it says: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS) Wide Margin Edition is identical in content to the Standard Edition but is larger in sizeand priced lower.

Sounds like a deal to me :)

SCSaunders
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Dave,

Everyone above has given you really good advice. Darlack's is a gold mine. I would add two things, both from my personal experience - so take it with a mile of Bonneville Salt Flats.

1. Get the large print. JMHO. In the long run, your eyes will pop out of thier sockets and greet you with a holy kiss on both checks. The argument for the small hardback is usually $$ and size: It costs less and is easier to carry. You wallet and back will get over it; but not your eyes.

2. Grow some thick skin. People tend to type cast; meaning, the one and only, single reason that anyone would ever take a language text to church (or seminary chapel for that manner) is arrogance. You're automatically arrogant and just vain-glorilly (not a real word; but work with me here) want to show off.

Truth be told, there's many reasons. For me, the foremost is "Practice makes perfect." The more you read, the better you get. I have the HMT electronically on my pocket PC. Easy to carry; plus I can hide it that way. The chiders are none the wiser. When the pastor preaches from the Hebrew portion of the Bible, I'm flipping back and forth between the language text and an English translation from it.

Be kid-like; it's not childish. It's okay to start out knowing only a few words on the page. From the words you know, within the familiar context (more than likely, you've heard the passage preached before or you've read it before), you can guess some of the rest. Plus, the preacher/chapel-speaker will fill in the rest - many times with power point text slides.

Both of my kids read every day. The books are always beyond thier means; but that's the definition of learning: going from knowing less to knowing more. The challenge is a good thing. My first grader takes her bible to church. I've never assumed her only reason is for seeking kudos and pats on the back. Can she read all the words. Not hardly.

When people ask: go with the truth - "No, I can't sight read. Not everything. But I'm learning. I'm practicing to the glory of God, not my own."

JMHO. Grain of Salt. Ctrl+Alt+Delete. yadayadayada.

4pbears
08-02-2007, 05:31 PM
the question is, is biblia hebraica stuttgartensia included in bw ver 5 and if so how do i find it, i have looked and can't seem to locate it lol

Thanks.

Dave.

Adelphos
08-02-2007, 06:00 PM
the question is, is biblia hebraica stuttgartensia included in bw ver 5 and if so how do i find it, i have looked and can't seem to locate it

In BW BHS is WTT.

SCSaunders
08-03-2007, 11:06 AM
i am about to take a beginning hebrew language course, A lot of people here would like to see you succeed, so they took some time out and went the extra mile.

God Bless. U 2.

In BW BHS is WTT. Good man!

Andrew Fincke
08-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Am I understanding correctly? We can't use BW in class? And we can't take BHS to church? Then what? We take the laptops to church and wake up the snoozers with typing?

SCSaunders
08-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Am I understanding correctly? We can't use BW in class? And we can't take BHS to church? Then what? We take the laptops to church and wake up the snoozers with typing?Hilarious. Pretty much. Best I can figure, a "Shoalin" philosophy of education has crept in. We've spent years at the chapel training in the arts; but told when we leave (when we pass the "snatch the journal from my hand" and "walk on rice parchment" tests) we must never use them.

The thick alligator hide on my other cheek beats thier shoalin philosophical remarks. Mostly.

The glass is half full though, the slapping noise of the remark bouncing off my water-tight scales does wake the snoozers.

Andrew Fincke
08-05-2007, 08:11 PM
My pastor got a ring on his cell-phone just before the end of his sermon last week. Kind of messed up the climax. All I can say, Dave, is stop going to church and go to synagogue! There they pull out a big Hebrew scroll and read three chapters in Hebrew instead of a sermon. Seriously, though. Take BW, and write down all the Hebrew words in Ruth on flashcards! Get the meanings, maybe just by reading KJV! Put them on the backs! Flash through the cards until you've got the vocabulary of Ruth down (3 days?)! Put down the cards, pick up BHS and read Ruth in Hebrew! Once you've done that, you'll want to read the rest of the history, or try Psalm 23!
(Warning: Stay away from Job and Isaiah!)

Andrew Fincke
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
If you think Job had it tough, pity the student of Hebrew that has to read his complaints!