PDA

View Full Version : Updated Keil and Delitzsch and Calvin Commentaries

Willem Swanepoel
08-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Updated versions of Keil and Delitzsch OT and Calvin's Commentaries are available at:

http://aflaai.enigstetroos.org/Keil_and_Delitzsch.zip

http://aflaai.enigstetroos.org/CalvinCommentaries.zip

Keil and Delitzsch now include the additional pages mentioned by Adelphos (introductory chapters to the books of Moses, the Prophets etc.). You may need to install the attached fonts to get these pages to display the Greek and Hebrew correctly.

The updated Calvin's Commentaries simply corrects a few minor errors.

Warms regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Adelphos
08-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Much obliged for all the hard work, Willem.

SCSaunders
08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Very, very nice! Much thanks. :)

David Kummerow
08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you!

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Ken Neighoff
08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for making these files available. Great Job.

Where do the fonts get installed?

Willem Swanepoel
08-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Ken,
The file with fonts need to be unzipped and the three TTF files need to be placed in the C:\Windows\Fonts directory. The best way to do this is from Control Panel.

1) Unzip the fonts file into a directory
2) Get into Control panel and double click on Fonts
3) On the menu go to File, Install New Fonts...
3) Point to the directory where you have unzipped the fonts
4) Select the three fonts and click OK.

Best of luck,
Willem

jdarlack
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Updated versions of Keil and Delitzsch OT and Calvin's Commentaries are available...Hi Willem, do you mind if we mirror the updated files on the BW blog?

Willem Swanepoel
08-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi Jim,
You are most welcome to host everything that I release to the forum on the BLOG. That also goes for the Reformed Confessions (http://aflaai.enigstetroos.org/ReformedConfessions.zip).

Warm regards,
Willem

Steve Watkins
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
These are very nice, Willem - as usual. The K&D fonts look really good. Thanks for the hard work, and for sharing!

jlaning
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
When viewing the commentaries within BW7, is there a way to zoom in or make the text size larger?

Mark Eddy
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
As I have used Keil and Delitzsch OT commentary in BW I noticed that the biblical references are hyperlinked to the English verse numbers instead of to the Hebrew numbering. How can this be changed?
Can only the original producer of html files edit them, or can we users make corrections when we see the need? If so, how? I thought that I might make changes using WordPad, but it looks mostly like gibberish, and after closing the file BW crashed. So I deleted the K-D files and will re-install the files as downloaded. I know how to change the version which hyperlinks display in popup windows for the lexicons, but not for the Help files such as K-D.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mark Eddy

Glenn Weaver
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi Mark,

Changing the hyperlink numbering is done within the javascript file that is compiled within the CHM file. Therefore, there is no setting external to the file that can be changed once it is compiled. In order to change this setting it is necessary to make the change in the javascript file, then recompile the CHM file.

Here is the change that should be made: in the bwjs.js file the string "KJV KJV RSV" (which occurs a few times) should be changed to "WTT BNT BGT". I say this for the original compiler's benefit, since as it is not my file I do not feel comfortable making the corrections and recompiling the file.

Blessings,
Glenn

Willem Swanepoel
11-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Hi Mark, Glen,

I will look into the possibility of making the suggested change.

Warm regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Mark Eddy
11-09-2007, 08:13 PM
While I’m looking at ways to tweek the Keil-Delitzsch module for BibleWorks, I noticed that Hebrew quotations of more than one word in length appear to have the word order reversed. E.g. in Exodus 3:1 היהרעה should be רעההיה and אחרהמּדבּר should be המּדבּראחר. The funny thing is that when I pasted the Hebrew quotations into a MS Word document they displayed in the proper order, but within BibleWorks Help the order is backward. Is html Help not capable of displaying Hebrew right-to-left?
In Exodus 3:11-12 I noticed that circumflex accents do not display correctly in the K-D module in BW: λατρεύειν τῷ Θεῷ. But again from within MS Word the accents do display (only shifted to the right). In BW they display as empty rectangles above the vowels. Is this another weakness in html Help files, or can this be fixed, e.g. by changing to a different Greek font?
Mark Eddy

Willem Swanepoel
11-10-2007, 02:22 AM
Hi Mark,
I will need to investigate the display of Hebrew in HTML Help. Unfortunately I do not know Hebrew, so I would not even have noticed the problem.

I'll have a look into the matter and I will come back to you.

Warm regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Willem Swanepoel
11-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Mark,
I indeed now also see the problem. Individual words are correct, but when there is a few words next to each other, their order is reversed.

I checked my HTML files and there the order is correct. It seems that the HTML compiler switches the order. Perhaps Glenn can advise me on this one?

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Willem Swanepoel
11-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Mark,
I have done further investigation and I find the following:

When I open my HTML files in MS Word, the Hebrew word order is correct.
When I open the HTML file in Internet Explorer the word order is reversed.This is rather strange and I do not know how to resolve the problem. I have sent an e-mail to Microsoft to see if they have any ideas.

Kind regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Willem Swanepoel
11-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Mark,
I did a few spot checks in Calvin's Commentaries (which I also developed) and the problem does not seem to occur there. I will wait for Microsoft to come back to me before I attempt anything.

If they cannot help me, I will try to resolve it myself, but that may take some effort.

Regards,
Willem

SCSaunders
11-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately I do not know Hebrew, so I would not even have noticed the problem.Willem, even if this can't get fixed, the commentary is a huge boon to my studies. Thanks for all your hard work. :)

BigJayOneill
11-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Great job on the commentary.

My question is to "SCSaunders"

Where does this text come from and what does it say?

`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w

iIs there a Tina in the Bible? :)
The text reminds me of a certain patriarch and his wife.

I like your creative website.

David Kummerow
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
While I’m looking at ways to tweek the Keil-Delitzsch module for BibleWorks, I noticed that Hebrew quotations of more than one word in length appear to have the word order reversed. E.g. in Exodus 3:1 היהרעה should be רעההיה and אחרהמּדבּר should be המּדבּראחר.

Hmmm. Strange. I checked my display of the verse and the ordering is correct: רעה היה and המדבר אחר. My ordering is not reversed.

OS is XPsp2 with IE 6.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

EDIT: Just checked the Hebrew text, and the text actually reads the reverse of what I have. What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?

Or is it just that I have read wrongly the quoted post?

Dan Phillips
11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w:

I render it as, "Then Sqot proceeded to say unto Tinah, his wife, 'Behold, now, I know that thou art beautiful of appearance.'"

;)

Adelphos
11-11-2007, 01:24 PM
What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?

The printed edition of K&D has the reverse of what you posted, David.

David Kummerow
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
The printed edition of K&D has the reverse of what you posted, David.
OK. Good. KD match the Hebrew text of WTT/BHS then.

So a restatement of the issue: 1) the display of more than one Hebrew words reverses the display order, eg Exod 3:1 רעה היה but should in fact display as היה רעה to match printed KD and WTT/BHS; 2) Cut-and-paste of KD text displaying as רעה היה is pasted into Word as היה רעה.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Willem Swanepoel
11-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi Guys,
Just to clarify the matter. Attached is a sample of an HTML file from Keil and Delitzsch.

Open the file in MS Word and you will notice that the highlighted Hebrew words will appear in one order.

Open the same file in Internet Explorer and you will notice that the word order is reversed.

This is essentially the problem that Mark Eddy spotted in K&D. In a CHM the Hebrew words behave like they do in Internet Explorer, that is the Hebrew words will appear in the incorrect order.

I have checked the BW version of K&D against the e-Sword version and this is in fact the case.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

SCSaunders
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Great job on the commentary.

My question is to "SCSaunders"

Where does this text come from and what does it say?

`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w

iIs there a Tina in the Bible? :)
The text reminds me of a certain patriarch and his wife.

I like your creative website.Thank you! When roller skating down the middle of the street at high noon, quoting the Good Book through a Mr. Microphone, I reverberate of passel of "daom."s to the mix.

The website is a work in progress: I'm going through Adobe CS 3 tutorials, so it's slowing down my posts a wee bit. I'm looking to add something new each time.

My real goal is to saturate Youtube and Google.

SCSaunders
11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
`T.a'( ha,r>m;-tp;y> hV'ai yKi yTi[.d:y" an"-hNEhi ATv.ai hn"yji-la, jwOqs rm,aYO"w:

I render it as, "Then Sqot proceeded to say unto Tinah, his wife, 'Behold, now, I know that thou art exceedingly, exceedingly, exceedingly, mucho beautiful of appearance. Hubba hubba!'" [emphasis added to reflect heartfelt passions]

;)
:) [characters added to reach the mark of the forum "10"]

David Kummerow
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys,
Just to clarify the matter. Attached is a sample of an HTML file from Keil and Delitzsch.

Open the file in MS Word and you will notice that the highlighted Hebrew words will appear in one order.

Open the same file in Internet Explorer and you will notice that the word order is reversed.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Gday Willem,

I corrected your html file to how it should be encoded to display correctly. You should be able to see the changes made in the relevant places.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Mark Eddy
11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Hmmm. Strange. I checked my display of the verse and the ordering is correct: רעה היה and המדבר אחר. My ordering is not reversed.

OS is XPsp2 with IE 6.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

EDIT: Just checked the Hebrew text, and the text actually reads the reverse of what I have. What order does KD have in the printed text, the order of the Hebrew text, or the reverse as what I have above?

Or is it just that I have read wrongly the quoted post?
The printed text of Keil-Delitzsch has the order of the words as in WTT at Exo 3:1 in BW: h[ro hyh and rBdMh rxa. Cutting and pasting between the Keil-Delitzsch module and MS outlook or MS Word changes the order in which the words display on the screen. What I see in your post is the reversed/wrong word order, which I reported. In my last post, since I cut directly from K-D and pasted into this thread, I had difficulty getting the post to look exactly like K-D, since the right-to-left typing between Hebrew words doesn't seem to work exactly as I would have expected.
Mark Eddy